Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2004, 12:24 PM   #11

Although it isn't specifically said, most of the complaints with the 8MP cameras are directed at the Sony 828 and a... minolta? I forget the other (the other shares the at least the same sensor as the Sony.)

So the question is if the 8700 shares a lens or sensor with the Sony. If not, I would think there is less likelihood that it will share the same problem with those other models.

But the hard and true fact is that as you pack more photosites on to the sensor you increase the noise. Technology can reduce the noise, but everything else being equal the more photosites (and therefor the more MP) you put on the sensor the more noise it will have. The problem comes from how close the photosites are together and that they interfere with each other interfere.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 12:44 PM   #12

I think all of the current 8Mp non-DSLR cameras are using the same Sony sensor. Different processing algorithms handle noise differently.

I think there have been technological advances along the way, both in the sensors and internal processing. People tend to look at an 8Mp image 100% and compare it to a 3Mp image 100%. You are effectively blowing up the large image. If you display them at the same size or print them the same size the noise difference isn't that great.

You can get an excellent 13 X 19 print from an 8Mp image. According to subject matter and post-processing you might have to apply Neat Image or Noise Ninja – but you can get an excellent print. You can't get an excellent 13 X 19 print from a 3Mp camera. The largest 13 X 19 crop you can get from a 3Mp camera is around 107 PPI, and that just doesn't hack it for most images. I seldom take a shot I don't have to crop a tad unless I have a lot of time to frame it and an EVF.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 10:50 AM   #13

Eric S. & Slipe,

Technically you are correct. But, really, go out into the sunshine and take some pictures with the 8700. You'll be amazed at the clarity, sharpness, and lack of noise (at ISO 50) At ISO 100 the images are still GREAT.

JM
jmoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 11:04 AM   #14

jmoro wrote:
Quote:
Eric S. & Slipe,

Technically you are correct. But, really, go out into the sunshine and take some pictures with the 8700. You'll be amazed at the clarity, sharpness, and lack of noise (at ISO 50) At ISO 100 the images are still GREAT.

JM

I thought I was defending the 8Mp sensors. I have a wide format printer and 8Mp images make a very nice 13 X 19 compared to 5Mp.

It would be nice if you could take all of your photos in bright sunlight. There are shooting situations and subjects from which you can make a decent large blowup without noise reduction. But even if you get noise, Neat Image and Noise Ninja will take it out without reducing the resolution. You might look into it if you don't have one of them.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote