Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:22 AM   #1

Default Digital storage

Anyone used the new HD portable storage devices like the Nixvue Vista & its clone the Delkin Picture Pad? These are about the size, I am told, of a Palm Pilot and have anywhere from 10 to 30 GB Hdives! Just dump your media card into the device and erase the card and your on your way. These have tiny LQD screens to view, magnify and edit the images.
Has anyone really tested these out on a job or trip? I am going to Europe for 2 months and digital would save me lots of film & processing costs, but I will run out of memory in one week or less. How have others solved this problem?
stevewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2002, 10:14 AM   #2

Default microdrive is the answer....

I know a lot of people who like the pocket wallet type things, but ultimately I just decided to get an extra IBM 1gig microdrive. The two microdrives I have combined were a bit more money and don't have quite as much storage, but they give me a backup, and they're way easier to use and carry. If you hunt around you can find them for about $260, a lot less than what seems to be quoted in some rip-off places.

I heard somewhere that IBM was coming out with an even higher capacity microdrive? Haven't seen it yet.

[Edited on 9-7-2002 by monsieurms]
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2002, 10:55 AM   #3
NHL

I've used the MindStor and highly recommended it; However I would buy one now with a display like the Nixvue or Archos, but they must all have a Firewire (or USB 2.0) otherwise it's going to be painful when you intend on upload the pictures back to the PC... especially when off-loaded with my two microdrives!

http://www.archos.com/us/products/product_jbmm.html

[Edited on 9-7-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2002, 7:52 PM   #4

I have the 5G Nixvue Vista and love it. It really came in handy on a recent trip to NYC and LA.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...vue_vista.html

Bob
Bob W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 2:00 PM   #5

Default Nixvue Vista - Rants and raves

I have a Nixvue Vista (20gb) bought in preparation for a 2 week vacation in Italy. The unit certaily works - mostly so far I've been using it to archive stuff currently on my pc.

It will certainly be suitable for what I bought it for, but I do have some concers about the unit I have and may need to consider returning it.

Construction is simple and it's a great size, but feels very pastic and the case probably isn't too robust.

The LCD gives a fairly clear picture, and the thumb-nails are just about useful. However, I seem to be getting some "ghosting" - with a faint image of one of the menu screens appearing over new images - the sort of effect you used to get on old CRT pc monitors without screen-savers.

Most of my images are .TIFFs. The Vista seems to struggle displaying images in that format, it will often display one or two and then crash.

Could just be that I have a duff one, I'm going to give it a try (I don't have time to return it before my holiday) and see how it goes.

I'd recommend the unit for anyone travelling that's going to take more than 1 or 2 gb of images (and with a 5mp camera, that's not that many).

The package does come well equipped - a nice thought to give a protective case with a belt loop and all there's the charger and all the cables you need.

Anyone with limited space on their pc and no access to a CD rom burner should certaily consider this unit - but get the biggest you can afford - I can't imagine that 10mb will lass that long!
edmontonn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 2:12 PM   #6
NHL

I don't think it's in anyone interest to use the Nixvue/Archos/MindStor or any battery powered portable HD as a permanent storage! You don't want to lose all your pictures with one accident... For temporary storage while traveling it's fine, so for that purpose it's just fine (ie one doesn't need a big one).

You'll conserve power as well with a smaller device and may be some speed advantages...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote