Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 15, 2004, 5:55 PM   #1

hello friends...i am a new member and totally new digicam field...i plan to buy my first digital camera. i am a doctor by profession....i wud like to take closeups of pathologies in my patients with decent resolution...also i wud like to use same camera for personal use too....any suggestion wch one shud i buy?

low price range- ?

normal range -?

hig price range-?

which one shud be the best?

how about sony f 828 ? or 8 mega pixels is too much and too professional?

sorry if i asked some silly Q, as i am totally new to this field.

thanks

a_medico
a_medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2004, 7:41 AM   #2

Have a look for a Nikon CP4500. It's very good for closeups and hasquite reasonable resolution.

Regards, Graham.

Please visit www.pbase.com/grahamcheckley
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 8:51 AM   #3

a_medico wrote:
Quote:
i am a doctor by profession....i wud like to take closeups of pathologies in my patients with decent resolution...also i wud like to use same camera for personal use too....any suggestion wch one shud i buy?
Most of the current crop of digicams with a close focus facility will do fine, and anything above 3Mpixels would be likely to do a good job.A reasonable degree of manual control would often be useful. There are a couple of features you might findusefulthataren't so obvious, however...

1. Synchronisation socket for external flashgun, so you're not dependent on the built-in flashgun.

2. AV (television) output, so you can show the images to patients, students, etc, without being tied to a computer. The quality isn't brilliant (about 640x480), but it means you can demonstrate what you're talking about to anyone who has a TV with an AV input or a SCART socket (i.e., almost everyone). If you do any editing and want to put the images back on the camera to take them around with you, you'll need TVWriter, a piece of cheap shareware from a guy in Edinburgh, UK.

My dermatologist was stunned when I revealed that I'd been monitoring a mole on my back (which I couldn't otherwise see, and now safely removed) using my camcorder, plus a millimetre rule and the TV as a monitor.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 4:52 PM   #4

You might want to consider using a camera that will accept a "ring light" type flash for closeup pathology work. I don't have any experience with them, but there are examples on these pages. The light wraps around the front of the lens and gives shadowless light. I believe they are used extensively for medical type photography.

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/camera...ite/index.html
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...ductNr=4719NAS

I don't know about the cost, but they are probably a little on the high side due to their limited demand.
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 7:53 PM   #5

I have a canon A70 and am very pleased with it. It does great closeups in good light, when using the flash it can be overpowering up close so some diffuser would be of help. The A80 is better in that the viewing panel can be viewed from any angle, definately go for that feature on any camera.

As far as getting better flash power with these cameras, slave flash units can be had for those without hotshoes. I have a Phoenix model on order from Porters camera store 'pro slave flash 66s' I will add a more powerfull flash to this slave unit and be set up for most lighting situations.:|
Forgiven is offline   Reply With Quote