Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:12 PM   #1

Default noise in underexposed images

Basically, being a dumb, ignorant, clumsy, thumb-sucking lout, who is also a newbie to digital photography, I just underexposed most of the pics I took at my only daughter's outdoor wedding! I forgot stupid and foolish old man! There, now I feel better. In the excitement, I completely forgot to check exposure and focus on the LCD screen, and just merrily snapped away. Old dog...new tricks,,,nope, don't think so. These images are dear to me and many are great shots, except for the above problems. Can you folks point me to some links to sites for reducing noise. After correcting the images in Elements, the noise is quite noticeable. I vaguely remember some sites that claimed to do this, but forgot them. Thanks for any help you can provide. Jeff
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:30 PM   #2
Administrator

Try some of these programs and or filters before you shoot yourself

http://www.neatimage.com/

http://www.truview.com/

http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/hotpixels.htm

Just remember to experiment on copies of your original files, not the original files. And each time you open-edit-save those JPG files lose a little detail because of the compression used. If you need to open and edit a file more than once it is a good idea to save it the first time as a BMP or TIF type, these are uncompressed and you can open and edit them forever without losing detail or adding compression artifacts.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2002, 10:44 AM   #3

Jeff, since you have Elements, I can walk you through a fix; it's too involved to post here. Easy to do, just hard to explain. In Elements, click on Image/image size/resample, and select 100DPI, and about a 3 for the short side, and attach the image to your email so I can see what we're dealing with. Scott
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2002, 1:10 PM   #4

Steve, thanks for those links. I only had time to quickly look at them this morning before heading to work, but they look like they might help a lot.

Scott, I'm embarrassed to admit that most of the noise disappeared after I went back and ran the Adobe Gamma calibration again. The first time through I had left the default color profile in place (I don't know what it was now that I've changed it). Last night, after more reading on calibration, I changed it to Adobe RGB 1998. I didn't think it made any difference until I went into the images to select one to email to you. The noise in the skin tones is barely noticeable now. So I won't send an email. Thanks for your generous offer of your time though. I'm learning the computer, digital photography, and Elements all at once over the past 3 mos. and it's slowly sinking in.

Folks, I love these forums. So much interesting and helpful information. Keep up the great work.

Jeff
Old Sep 7, 2002, 2:26 PM   #5

Jeff,
I am glad to hear that you could "save" those valuable pictures , but I bet that your daughter will be proud of ,just because " hey, my father took these !"
Pictures are not valuable only for the scene it represent , it's also all the soul behind it ...
just my thought
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2002, 8:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the moral support, Kcan. The ironic thing is, the pictures I took of her black lab puppy, fetching a ball down at the river are stunning! Sunset light, fabulous colors, paid attention to exposure and focus. But, you're right. She loves them. I'm just determined to get them perfect.

Jeff