Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 16, 2004, 3:41 PM   #1

I usally shoot at SHQ. If I was to shoot at HQ most of the time can I get the same quality as SHQ if I was to change the resolution to 300 on Photoshop? I am trying to not to have the delays when shooting photos. Any tips will help to improve my shooting speed. I have a C-750 Olympus.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2004, 1:27 AM   #2

Changing resolution does not affect the quality. Its a factor that determines the later print size. The picture file shoot in SHQ is larger than in HQ of course and it takes longer to write to the storage media (Processing time for HQ and SHQ are not much different).

Also keep in mind, that for most digital cameras the best quality mode (SHQ here) is not that much better as the increase in file size suggest. There is still a color sub sampling applied (!) and for most efficient use the HQ gives you a rather optimal setting for your shoot frequence.

Did you experienced a noticable delay for SHQ during the shoots?
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 4:43 PM   #3

Yes there was a delay shooting SHQ.
Old May 17, 2004, 9:56 PM   #4

The Olympus 750 cannot use Raw as far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong). I would rather shoot in HQ to get a good tradeoff for size/speed and quality (leave the picture size setting at its max).

Of course, with Raw you could leave the really important shoots to Raw while using HQ for the "other" pics.

This is my personal opinion and experience. No one can really give you a perfect advise. It depends on what you want to do, but with some basic understanding behind, the choice is then often easy.
Old May 17, 2004, 10:56 PM   #5

Is there much diffrence between SHQ and HQ when it comes to printing. I have a Canon i960. I usually print 4x6 prints.
Old May 18, 2004, 12:55 AM   #6

A print 4x6 with 300dpi requires about 2MP. The picture data will be downsampled to match the resolution. Downsampling always increase the quality, so you would need a really difficult object pattern to see a difference.

Its a different story when you print large sizes. The data needs to be extrapolated to match the print raster. Here every additional quality counts and SHQ could make some noticable difference.

Just try it out