Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 20, 2004, 1:14 PM   #1

I'm going to Europe in a few weeks and I like to take a lot of pictures. I have a 256 MB sd card and I have a very limited budget, so I was wondering if there are any ways to upload pics onto internet cafe computers or anything like that? basically i'm wondering how i can take the most pics without sacrifing image quality and without buying another card...thanks
guillermobrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2004, 1:48 PM   #2

Cheapest way out would probably to buy or bring an SD card reader (usb) and upload images via email or to a website like pbase from internet cafe's or public libraries.

mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 5:47 PM   #3

A lot of photo shops will turn a card load of pix into a CD for you these days.
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 9:04 PM   #4

The problem with photoshop burning his pix to CD is that he only has a 256MB card. That would mean itll cost him between 5-10$USD per full card to burn and waste 50% of the CD storage capacity. If he plans on taking a lot of pix that could easily turn into $50+ in CD's...
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 5:57 AM   #5

Hi, Not being rude but if I were you Iwould purchase an additional cardbefore you depart,cause if you add up what it is going to cost you in this great country of England (that's if your coming to the U.K.)to put images onto disc or even use the internet cafe option you will get a shock compaired to U.S.A. the other thing I suppose about buying an additional card is that it isthere to be used again & again, one time payment no need to worry about it again. Have a good trip.:-)
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 11:20 AM   #6

Yer, I second getting additional card(s). If you can afford a European holiday, you can afford additional memory cards!!!

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 6:52 PM   #7

I like the idea of putting my pics onto a cd at a photoshop...I hadn't thought of that. But other people seem to think that this is going to be expensive and I can't really understand the logic of why this is so. I will be staying in London, and I am well aware that this is one of, if not THE most expensive city in the world. But can it really cost that much to put some pictures ona CD? The reason I don't want to buy another card is that I will NEVER use it here at home..my current 256 card is always enough. And while it may seem weird that a person going on vacation to Europe is strapped for cash, it is true, I am down to my last penny so buying another card is out of the question.
guillermobrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 7:44 PM   #8

I would go with the CD option if you really dont want to get another card. My aunt went to England last year and did this. She filled her card about three times, set the camera to small and medium for happy snaps of friends etc and used the highest setting for scenery. She shopped around and got reasonable deals with the CDs. I worked out that she did not spend that much really, less than on replacing a card. The other option is to shop around in the UK for a card if you find the CD option too expensive.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 8:32 PM   #9

Buy some cds, then go to an internet cafe, connect your camera to the pc and burn your images onto a cd. It's not so expensive to do if you have your own discs, and you can do your emailing etc at the same time.

If you go into a photo lab and ask them to put your images onto a cd it will be a lot more expensive.
jbmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 8:59 PM   #10

sell your 256 sd card before you leave and use that money to help deflate the cost of a 512meg card...then if you still need to burn cds over there, you'll be utilizing almost the full cd for each burn...
Redman is offline   Reply With Quote