Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 20, 2004, 11:05 PM   #1

was wondering why a couple of my friends with 8 megapixel cams seem to be getting more noise in their photos on the same settings as my 4 megapixel canon????
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2004, 11:11 PM   #2

well....depending on the size of the CCD/CMOS.....the pixels are more "densly" packed together, making the pictures noisy at higher ISOs, which to mean....doesn't make much sense for me to buy a 8mp camera unless it's a dSLR...i already have to deal with noise....i can't imagine with the denser CCD/CMOS
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 12:33 AM   #3

I dont get this problem much with the G3. I have toyed with the Idea of upgrading to a 8 megapixel but cant afford a SLR. I get great photos out of the 4 mega pixel and Im beginning to wonder if it is worth upgrading to a 6 to 8 MP camera now.
Old May 21, 2004, 1:00 AM   #4

well.....for the low ISO shots....my guess is it would be more than worth the upgrade, and i have not experience firsthand what kind of noise you'll actually get, if it will be noisier than your G3 i don't know, if it isn't then it would definetely be worth it, but then there is the question...Are you gonna print bigger than 8x10?

hope this helped...and not confused you more...lol
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 1:55 AM   #5

Greetings,

I think the most productive way to answer the number-of-pixels question is to think of what the increase will do to increase image detail. Seems to me that that is best examined by considering not total pixel increase but linear resolution increase, the increase in the number of pixels you would see when going in a straight line across an image detail. When you double the gross number of pixels you increase the linear resolution only by about 40 percent (square root of 2) which means that a detail which was 5 pixels across in the original image would be described by about 7 pixels in the larger imager. I think that puts things into a clearer perspective for makina a decision about the cost vs. benefits of upgrading.
I have worked with all resolutions from the first VHS sized consumer cameras up to 6MP and I believe that 4MP is the definite transtion point for quality imaging. When you get to 4MP I believe that other factors, such as lens quality, dynamic range and color handling, become just as important as gross pixel count. My understanding is that the Canon cameras are real winners in these other factors.

Hope this helps.

Richard S.
scaramouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 6:35 AM   #6

scaramouche thanks for enlightening me on this subject. I really cant afford to upgrade. I have the camera and only got the telephoto lens at christmas so I guess that I basicly willmake do with a 4 megapixel cam with 8 by opitical zoom with the converter lens. So far the photos have been really clear andI have blown them up to at least 16 by 20 without too much loss of quality. My canon 1.3 megapixel gave me kind good photos printed out at 10 by 8 and the assistants at the shop said that was impossible.