Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 21, 2004, 6:32 AM   #1

I am thinking of replacing my old CRC monitor with a flat screen TFT monitor as the image quality appears to be excellent. However, I have heard that it is more difficult to calibrate the picture on the screen to the output of the printer than it is with a CRC screen.

Has anyone any experience of this or any views that may help before I spend my hard earned on a new screen!!!

If this is the wrong forum to ask the question, (polite) suggestions as to where a better response would be received are welcome.

:?
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2004, 9:12 AM   #2
Administrator

The flat panel LCD monitors have the same color controls as the CRT monitors. I use the Colorvision Spyder calibrator on all of mine - we have three of them here in the office.

http://www.colorvision.com/

They're only $119 now - a far cry from the $500 or more we used to spend for a monitor caibrator.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 11:08 AM   #3

The only thing is you have to get a proper device designed for LCD monitors...the old Spyders had a suction cup that would attach it to the screen, and this could ruin the LCD monitor, especially when you try to pull it off. You need the new type that hangs from the top of the monitor.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 3:49 PM   #4

MySpyder shipped with the hanger for LCD's even though I never had to specify the type of monitor I was using. I would assume, based on this, that Colorvision automatically includes the hanger in the box.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 4:04 PM   #5
Administrator

All of them come with the hanger and suction cup thingees so itworks with either type, there is also a software option to set it properly for one or the other.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 8:28 PM   #6

Last week a friend loaned me his Eye-One by Gretag Macbeth. It did a very nice job calibrating my Samsung 17" LCD display. It's a USB device with a little counterbalance on the USB cord for use with LCD displays.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 10:06 PM   #7

I've been thinking about getting one, but saving my pennies for the time being. Which one do you recommend. I see ColorVision has ColorPlus ($99), Sypder ($169) and SpyderPro($249). I'd like to make sureI get a good one, but don't want to buy more than I would need to get good results for my home computer.

Thanks
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 10:36 PM   #8

mdparker

Look at the descriptions of the products. I believe the big difference between the packages is the software. I think the hardware is the same. Read to be sure.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote