Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 9, 2002, 12:55 AM   #1

Default Printing of digital photos

I have to digital photos: one 27KB from a low cost Aiptek camera and another one 700 KB from a Minolta Dimage X. When I print these photos using the default settings, I am getting the same size print-out. Doesn't the software print according to the resolution of the photo, or do we need to specify it. Will be grateful for expert advice.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2002, 10:37 AM   #2

The kb size of the file is misleading you as it often has little or nothing to do with the image size or resolution. I'm pretty certain you're referring to JPG files which have "lossy" compression. The original image that the camera recorded was compressed to remove redundant bytes but also compressed in a way that trades quality for small file size. The amount of compression can be intentionally controlled by the quality settings on your camera and by the content of the imate. A complex image won't compress as much as a plain one with the same compression settings.

TIFF files which are not compressed have a file size which is directly related to bitmap size. Often printing services will specify file sizes rather than bitmap sizes with these files.

You need to look at the image properties and find the bitmap size. It might be 1024x768 or something. It may also have a dpi encoded, usually 72dpi. The 72dpi figure is kind of a red herring as it really is only appropriate for screen display as it's far too low for printing. If your printer uses that figure and you print at 100% you'll get a too large print that will be very jaggy.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 10:39 AM   #3

Default driver

When printing there should be a choice on what size print you will get its part of the driver for the printer. If you tell us what printer you have you mite get exact instructions from somone with the same printer. As an example when i print with my Epson 780 photo printer wether am printing from Photo Shop or using Qimage Pro you have a settings link to the driver where you tell the printer to print say a 4 by 6 inch or a 8.5 by 11 or what ever choices are available. The resolution doesnt dictate the size of the print, it effects quality but not the size.
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 1:29 PM   #4

Your print options are also controlled by the application you are printing from. It is a good idea to check the print preview and to see how adjustments within the program affect the actual printout.

With digital photos there are many, many steps and factors that can all influence the final output from compression to image file type to type/quality of camera to OS to editing software to printer, etc.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2002, 12:27 AM   #5

Default Printing of digital photos

Yes. I am referring to JPG files. The smaller one was taken with Aiptek camera - 640x480 which stores as BMP file. To reduce the size, I had saved it as JPG file. The other one was from internet - 1024 x 840 (something like that). While viewing the print preview also, both are shown almost of same size. The printer used was HP Laserjet 1100. Thanks.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote