Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 9, 2002, 5:52 PM   #1

Default Contax N or Canon D60

I currently have a Canon D30 and I am in the process of upgreading to a D60... In my travels I can acrossed a Contax N and I am wanting to know if it is going to be that much better than the D60... Please send me your opinions...
mldbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2002, 12:01 AM   #2

you've got to consider that the n has not really shown up yet. only a few people have played with it and only with beta firmware. the 2 cameras are not the same at all. it would be unfair to even attempt a comparison without a finished product to use and abuse in the case of the N. let this one go for a while.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 8:55 AM   #3

Its ALMOST apples and oranges.

The Canon D60 is $2400 (body only).
The Contax N is $7000 (body only). I can only imagine what the lenses (Carl Zeiss) will cost.
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 4:14 PM   #4

From what I have seen and heard, the d60 is a 6+ Meg and so is the N. I have seen the N on the web for 4999.00 and am more interested in the difference between the imageing not the price... Does the full formate make that big of a differece? I do understand that the CZ lenses are going to improve the picture (Brightness) but ,will the sensor add as much?
Old Sep 10, 2002, 6:47 PM   #5

you'll also find that it is backordered till h**l freezes over. unfortunately the web is full of such items.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 7:53 PM   #6

It's a tough call. Neither camera is readily available. The initial images from the Contax were not all that impressive, but then most of the beta images from various new instruments have not been that great either.

The cost differential, as stated by others is going to be a major factor. The question you need to ask yourself is whether or not you spend more time at the telephoto or wide angle end of the photo spectrum.

If you really need wide angle, the Contax with full-frame sensor will definitely have an edge. The D60 at a 1.6 crop factor takes great advantage of the telephoto end, but leaves you wanting more at the wide angle end.

As far as image quality is concerned, it's really tough to beat the D60's images. So far, the images from the Contax have not been up to the quality of either the D60, S2, D100 or DCS-760. Maybe in production units that will change. The other factor you may want to consider is lens availability, prices and selection. It's going to be difficult to beat Canon's wide available selection of lenses.

If I could buy either today, I personally would take the D60 in a heartbeat. But my needs are more at the telephoto end and I can live with less than ideal autofocus under difficult conditions because I also have an EOS-1D and a DCS-760 which have superior autofocus.

It's really a question only you can answer. What other's experience and feel about the differences can only point you in a direction - the choice is really yours to make - but if you are really locked in to wide angle - it might be wise to wait a few months until the announcements are made on several new cameras to be announced shortly.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2002, 8:07 AM   #7
NHL

If one is to believe the Canon Europe news release goof-up about their 11Mp full frame EOS-1Ds, which is floated around on the dpReview thread the Contax N fate is probably sealed already:http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3359644

[Edited on 9-11-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2002, 12:07 PM   #8

or its in for a minor/major resign and retool. only the shadow knows, because we sure don't
Old Sep 12, 2002, 10:13 AM   #9
NHL

Default 'Semi' official i guess:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2C41...28206%2C00.asp

"The camera will likely sell for around $6000"

[Edited on 9-12-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 7:58 PM   #10

Is the NEW D1 going to be CCD or CMOS based???