Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 28, 2004, 2:17 PM   #1
Zal

I'd like to begin manually setting my white balance, but I don't have a "real" 18% gray card, and I'm not able to find a store in my area that carries them.

Is there an alternative that I can use? Would a piece of white posterboard work just as well?

Thanks!
Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2004, 2:45 PM   #2
Administrator

If you're not too critical then most anything will do, the back of a 8x10 photo print is good as is a sheet of notebook paper. Just be sure that the face of the target that you areusing isaimed towardsthe dominantlight source. I have recently begun using the ExpoDisc and this is really cool. It fits onto your lens like a filter and then you aim your camera at the light source and use it as a full-frame gray target.

It's a little pricey ($79-159 depending on filter size) for the occassional user but for pros or enthusiasts it is a must have item. Many folks have used other things (Mr Coffee filter for example) that are much cheaper - but the precision and convenience of the ExpoDisc is incredible. And unlike the usual gray card, it can't get bent, dirty or ruined in normal use and is a lot easier to use andtake along with you.

http://www.expodisc.com

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 3:02 PM   #3

Lid from a pringles potato chip cylinder = 18% grey
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 4:50 PM   #4

Actually, you set white balance with a white card and you set exposure with a gray card. Caucasian skin, maybe a touch tanned, is close to 18% gray.

--Barbara

P.S. It would appear that our very own Steve has grown a bit squirrelly of late.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 10:22 PM   #5
Administrator

Sorry but I love that avatar -- I'm sure people get tired of seeing the real me so this should help ease the boredom a little.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 1:03 AM   #6

mrkryz wrote:
Quote:
Lid from a pringles potato chip cylinder = 18% grey
Darn, just threw one out...time to buy some more chips!!!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 4:45 AM   #7

I second the Pringles suggestion - its packaginghas so many uses! Keep the lid for grey card, the cylinder for reverse lens macro work without a macro lens (if your lens fits inside the tube - many do).
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 9:16 AM   #8
DBB

May I recomend the Professional Portable White Balance Dog? Unlike the consumer white balance dog such as West Highland Terriers and Poodles, My Pro model is fully five feet long and 31 inches at the shoulder. The pro is easily visible at long distances, is completely white, and unlike the consumer versions, is visible even in the most difficult conditions.

Stop settleing for an amateur version, when my Pro model is far more adaptable to the most diffficult of photographic situations. As a bonus, the Pro model can deal with other photographers trying to weasel in on your locations.

Call tommorow for a free demonstration!

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 2:11 PM   #9

DBB, the only drawback to the professional model is that such complicated pieces of machinery require an awfullot of maintenance.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 8:33 PM   #10

DDB is the professional model a Great Pyrenees by any chance?

SUzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote