Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 29, 2004, 9:25 PM   #1

If we're not allowed to ask about another forum, feel free to delete this thread.

I notice the dpreview forums seem to be quite active. When I tried multiple times to register, I kept being denied since my e-mail is a web-based service. I've e-mailed them a couple of times asking if there's some other way to register, but haven't gotten a reply. Anyone had this problem, or know of a way around this?:?

TIA
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2004, 9:57 PM   #2

Did you e-mail the administrator of the other site to see if there was a problem with using your current information? I'm sure there are others here that also are members of DPReview.
MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 9:58 PM   #3

I registered (a few months ago so I'm not sure what it's like now) using an email address from fastmail.fm (pretty good free email service, even better if paid 4) and they accepted it.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 9:36 AM   #4

Having a web-based e-mail service wouldn't have anything to do with it; the form of e-mail is a global standard (otherwise it wouldn't work) and even existed long before the web was even invented.

What can be a problem is an e-mail service that requires a specific list of addresses to accept mail from before accepting e-mail. That problem is stated on the sign-up page of e-mail based forums when you apply. I think the feature is a part of the fight against spam.

I use a web-based e-mail service and belong to DPReview forums and have no problems. Take a closer look at their signup page.

Hope this helps.

Richard S.

scaramouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 4:48 PM   #5

I could not sign up either, I just plain gave up trying. I am on Compuserve so I guess that is a problem or something.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 4:45 AM   #6

I've sent a couple of e-mails but haven't heard anything back so maybe it was a dead link or something. When I try to register, this is what comes up:

"There were the following problems with your registration:
  • Registration with web based email accounts (such as hotmail.com or yahoo.com) is not allowed, please use an ISP account "
[/*]
Thanks for the tips, particularly the one about fastmail.fm, I just might try that if I can't reach the administrator. Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2004, 5:16 AM   #7

I hate that...all I use is Hotmail. I checked to see what I used when I registered at DPReview, and I *did* use Hotmail, but they probably didn't have that policy then. I guess they want an ISP based address to protect themselves, but I still hate that; if I was registering today and I didn't have an ISP email address (one ISP I was with didn't have them with the basic account), I'd fire off an email saying that I'm a real person and not a bot, and what more do you want me to do to prove this?
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 8:40 PM   #8

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
I hate that...all I use is Hotmail. I checked to see what I used when I registered at DPReview, and I *did* use Hotmail, but they probably didn't have that policy then. I guess they want an ISP based address to protect themselves, but I still hate that; if I was registering today and I didn't have an ISP email address (one ISP I was with didn't have them with the basic account), I'd fire off an email saying that I'm a real person and not a bot, and what more do you want me to do to prove this?
Basically, that's the type of response I've sent twice so far. Still haven't heard back.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 1:10 AM   #9

Sent a third e-mail last week, asked if I needed to send a resume' or references in order to post. Still haven't heard back. :?
Old Jun 9, 2004, 1:24 PM   #10

scaramouche wrote:
Quote:
"Having a web-based e-mail service wouldn't have anything to do with it"
Actually - this DOES have everything to do with it. If you read dpreview's rules/regulations they specifically state they don't allow webbased domains such as yahoo and hotmail. True that the email name space scheme is global - but some boards don't like participants that can't be easily traces. I haven't joined dpreview for that reason - I ONLY use my web mail address on such forums and so far it has succeeded in keeping my personal email address SPAM-FREE! (I won't tell you how much I get on my webmail one).

FROM DPREVIEW:

There were the following problems with your registration:
  • Registration with web based email accounts (such as hotmail.com or yahoo.com) is not allowed, please use an ISP account [/*]
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote