Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 30, 2004, 1:41 PM   #1

ok so here is the deal, i have around 400 american to spend on a digital camera.

I will be using this camera for taking action shots so i will need a fast shutter speed and i would like a variety of manual controls especially shutter speed controls.

I just came off of a fuji finepix 2600 zoom (YUCK!) and I am franticly looking for something to sooth my needs. higer 3's to 5 megapixels is what im shooting for.

I hope to have this camera last me for awhile and if possible i would love a camera which allowed 3rd party accessories.

i know you guys probably get this alot but please help me out.

oh yea, im most likelygoing to buy on ebay tosave some money as to im broke right now:-)

thank you very much

BLENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2004, 10:26 PM   #2

No one can help me then?
Old May 31, 2004, 10:42 PM   #3

Blender, I've been in your position too. It sounds like you already have an idea what you want. Did you check out the camera reviews on this site. There is also good information in each chat room of camera manufacturers, but ultimatly you have to make the choice.

If you want someone else to put their neck out then I'll give you my uninformed opinion. Nikon 5700. If this doesn't work out then you'll have to do more research on your own.:?
MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 10:50 PM   #4

oh no ive done a hell of alot of research and i would like some other opinions,reading one persons views on cameras is cool and helpful but id rather here from real people you know what i mean.

this way i can specify what i need in a camera and people can help me decide:-)
Old May 31, 2004, 11:03 PM   #5

O.K. send me your money, and I'll get something for you.:P

I really don't have any better advice. Good Luck!

MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 11:08 PM   #6

For the manual controls and other features that you described, I would probably recommend looking for a Canon Powershot A80 (4 mp) or S50 (5mp)

Both have manual and auto exposure, ect, and the S50 even has the ability to record in RAW!

That is my recommendation, hope it is helpful!
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 4:46 AM   #7

Everyone has their own biases, and I don't trust anyone's opinion but my own! Personally, I wouldn't let someone else dictate what camera I should buy.

But if you really want this type of advice, FIRST you have to tell people what you want to shoot...just saying that you want people to tell you what camera to buy is like asking them what vehicle you should buy to get from point A to point B; do you want a sports car, sedan, wagon, minivan, pickup, dumptruck, 18 wheeler, motorcycle, airplane, boat...without narrowing down your wants (besides price) you can get silly suggestions like those. With cameras there's pocket, ultra zoom, low light, etc.

You did say high speed with manual controls, but you aren't going to get that for $400 (unless you buy a film SLR). What you really want is a dSLR but you can't get that for $400! ;-)
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote