Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 31, 2004, 12:05 PM   #1

i was wondering how bad the quality of a print would be if printed at 72 ppi? (i'm guess ppi would change to dpi when printing though right?)

i took a bunch of picture this weekend of a waterfall near my grandparents house in PA.....and checked the image size in Photoshop and was amazed that the picture was over 41inches tall and 27 inches wide! but then i looked at the resolution and it was only 72 ppi...

has anyone had experience printing large pictures with a ppi of 72?

thanks in advance for all help! it will be GREATLY appreciated...

the picture is posted (downsized of course) in the landscape forum....it stitched together without any visible faults(and i looked!!!)...i love the picture and want to print it really big...thanks again!

Vito

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2004, 1:39 PM   #2

72 PPI is just the default resolution that most cameras download at. You can manipulate that any way you want as long as you don't resample.

If you left the resample box unchecked and resized to 13 X 19.74 inches you would end up with about 150 PPI. That will give a decent print. All you have to do is uncheck the "resample" box and check the "maintain proportions" box. When you put the 13 inches in it will automatically set the other dimension. With just a tiny bit of cropping you can print on standard 13 X 19 stock.

You would not be happy with a 72PPI print. You can check the resample box and go to 300 PPI, but the tradeoffs just about equal out at 150 PPI. 150 PPI is about the point where I consider a resample if I go lower.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 10:12 PM   #3

thanks a bunch! it's so nice having a forum here! that i can come to with any photography-newbie questions that i haven't had a chance to ask yet! lol

thanks for your help.....

i forgot to put this other question in the post.....

does anyone have a company that would print my photo that big? i live in New Jersey....so a site with a list or something would be best....

i could do the research myself..so don't go looking for me....i'm just asking if you know one already...

thanks again!
Old Jun 1, 2004, 7:52 AM   #4

No source for large printing, but I'd suggest that you do some tests at smaller print sizes before spending the money for a large print. In particular if you are thinking of printing at 72 ppi. Crop out an area of your image with the most detail and print it at 4x6" - 288x432 pixels. I am pretty sure you will not be happy with that print - much better to find that out with a 30 cent print instead of a 30 dollar print.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 8:05 AM   #5

very smart idea...i'll try that....