Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 31, 2004, 11:54 PM   #1

OK I the DX 6490 and have just gone nuts with photography..........My goodness this is a blast. Well the 35mm film bug kicked in to over drive and I went ebay shopping and popped of a HUGE AE-1 program and tons of New lenses filters drivces etc..........I even went to my fav. pawn shop and found a new Nikon N90S for 250.

What are some good film forums? like this one.

I have learned so much from using the DX6490 that it really has opened a new world.
1texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2004, 11:05 AM   #2
DBB

You are apparently unaware of this, but starting 9/1/2004, owning or possesing a film camera will become a federal crime punishable by up to five years in jail.

This is why you keep hearing about film going down the tubes.

Sorry...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 11:41 AM   #3

DBB wrote:
Quote:
You are apparently unaware of this, but starting 9/1/2004, owning or possesing a film camera will become a federal crime punishable by up to five years in jail.

This is why you keep hearing about film going down the tubes.

Sorry...

Dave
Did you miss the second "1" in the day portion of the date you posted? :P
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:06 PM   #4

www.popphoto.com

CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:19 PM   #5

Digital is great but I'll never give up my film eating Nikon. :-x
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 9:14 AM   #6

CheckSix wrote: Thanks Six! looks likea good forum.........
1texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 3:52 PM   #7

No prob. I should have mentioned, that digital is slowly becoming more evident there, however, there is a vast majority of dedicated film users there. And I mean dedicated.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 7:41 AM   #8

I suggest that a cure for film is to purchase a new Leica Minilux CM with flash. It will fill any need for film, produce excellent photos, is small easy to carry with all your digital stuff and is so expensive you will stop thinking about film almost forever.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 3:27 PM   #9

I agree with the fellow recommending the Leica Minilux. Another wonderul small film camera is the Rollei afm35. I use it as a complement to my Contax SL300RT. They both take great pictures. The Rollei is the best buy of any posh small 35mm. I paid $300. Many camera stores don't carry it so they may categorize it as a boutique camera, which is nonsense.
Rollei is a high-quality German manufacturer that has been making cameras for decades. Look online, read reviews, you'll likely be tempted to add a Rollei to your repetoire.
macroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 6:39 AM   #10
AMG

digital is much more convenient, but depending on one's needs, there is still something that film possesses that digital cannot capture. I am not sure what it is, maybe it has to do with rgb or something, who knows, maybe because film is organic, to this day, when a movie is filmed as opposed to taped, there is a certain something that makes film better. I have not spent the time to research this, but I wonder if someone knows what it is. Anyway, it still is a matter of preference. There is no right or wrong. For myself, digital saves me time in developing, and lets me know if I got the shot right immediately after I take it, and if it needs some editing, I save time not having to scan it. And lastly, the dreadful feeling of that .01% chance the negatives get ruined by the lab prior to developing. ( I used to work in a lab, negatives can get jammed in the machine, and you have to open it up, exposing the uneveloped film ) I own a canon elan 7 as my film camera but I don't use it as often for everyday photos, but glad I have it when the time is right to use it. When it comes to movies or tv, I prefer film all the way. happy shooting all.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote