Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 2, 2004, 8:07 AM   #1

A while back I had a thread (http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...090&forum_id=2) looking for a point-and-shoot with good indoor low-light capabilities. A number of good suggestions but I never acted on them. NOw I am ready to spend a little more cash (say $500) and there are lots of new cameras, so I thought I would ask for new suggestions.

I would still like the camera to be pocketable (but I have big pockets). High ISO with low noise. A 28mm (equivalent) zoom would be really good. No problem with buying a used camera, so it doesn't have to be the latest model (though the 28mm thing kind of mitigates against that).

Anyhow, any new suggestions?

-----Paul------
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2004, 8:58 AM   #2

Well, I've been searching the reviews as best I can and it looks like the answer is ... there are none. Not in pocketables, not in non-pocketables, not in wide-angles, not in 'normals'. In the sub-$1000 class of digital cameras, not one has the equivalent of 400 speed sensitivity without significant noise in the pictures.

Disappointing.

I guess there is always next year.

-----Paul-----

pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 9:58 AM   #3

The only way to do what you want is a DSLR with a fast lens. Point and shoot cameras have very small sensors which displaydegraded noise performance as ISO numbers are jacked up. ISOs over 400 are pretty much worthless in P&S cameras but DSLRs can produce useable pictures at 1600 and even 3200 on some occassions. Even DSLRs will perform better with faster lenses.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:07 AM   #4

The Olympus C-5050 has a "super bright" lens which opens up to f1.8, but again it has a small CCD and will suffer from noise at higher ISOs, as well it is only 35-105mm (and it's not pocketable).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote