Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 3, 2004, 5:25 PM   #1

:angry:Could you help me. I dont know what digital camera to buy. Coluld you tell me which of these is the best: canon powershot S1 IS, Minolta Z2, Sony DSC-V1, sony dsc-w1, canon powershot g5, sony cyber-shot f717, olympus c-770 UZ. Please help me.:X:-?:bye:
worms16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2004, 4:21 AM   #2

:sadlease answer
worms16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 4:33 AM   #3

I think the best thing you could do is read through the forums for each camera and see what people who have bought these cameras think of them. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 5:28 PM   #4

Your question is akin to "which should I buy: a Toyota Tundra pickup, a Jaguar XK8 sports car or a Lincoln Explorer SUV?" You have everything from superzooms to pocket cameras and new releases to cameras approaching 2 years old. All of the cameras you listed are good.

I prefer the S1 to the Z2 or 770. Stabilization makes a big difference in being able to use a superzoom in more situations without a tripod. You lose a Mp though. If 4Mp suits your needs better than 3 you might also consider the Panasonic FZ10 in the superzoom category.

I like the features and large f stop of the G5. It and the Sony 717 give you a faster lens. They won't fit in your pocket like the W1. The Vi is about as small a camera as you are going to find with a hot shoe. It has relatively fast release times and will fit into big pockets.

The W1 is a nice pocket camera with a really nice LCD. The Minolta G500 is also good and a bargain, but without the nice movies or large LCD. Besides the W1, the S1 and V1 give excellent movies for a still camera if you are interested in that.

You need to determine whether you want a pocket camera, a superzoom, low light capability etc.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 2:56 AM   #5

Try the Minolta A2. Best of the 8 megapixel cams. Also minolta cameras tend to be fairly ergnonomic with well written manuals.

The best camera is the one that gets the most use.

Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote