Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 5, 2004, 1:53 PM   #1

My Fuji MX1700 has finally bit the dust. I would like to replace it with a 3 or 4 megapixel camera that uses smart media since I have a sizable investment in these cards. Looking for something with rechargable lithium batteries and around $200 in price. Any suggestions?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2004, 2:11 PM   #2

Your best choice is an S2800. Excellent camera and can be found for US$170-200 on ebay. Also uses 4x NiMH AA's, which I reckon are a much better / cheaper power solution. Also has a beautiful 6X optical lens. Failing that, spend another ~US$100 and get a S602. Still regarded as one of the best price / performance cams ever. Yeah, I have a few of each :-) but I'm NOT biased.
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 5:10 PM   #3

Those are both fine cameras but I'm looking for something I can carry in my pocket like the 1700. It would also be great if I could use the np80 batteries that I have. I have had three other digital cams but preferred the 1700 because I could always have it with me and because the batteries lasted a very long time before needing recharging.

I guess I could spring for a new Casio, Olympus, or Nikon but that would set me back 5 or6 bills after I buy the memory cardsand extra battery.

Old Jun 6, 2004, 10:51 AM   #4

In that case, the MX2900 !! An excellent bargain !! I've bought a couple off ebay for US$30+ (not working) but they go for approx US$100-130. I used to use one to do my original Fuji service pix. A good friend paid OZ$3,500 for one when they were FIRST released :-), she'll sell you that one for .. say OZ$3,100 :-)
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 7:50 PM   #5

Actually, I have the MX-2900. It's a nice camera and it does use smart media and the NP-80 but it is not really pocketable like the MX-1700 was. If anyone wants to buy it, I'll beat jkirk's friend's price.

The main problem with the 1700 was it's susceptibility to dust. I took it to Burning Man every year and had to send it out for repair each time because the lens would stop working. Maybe I should look at the Olympus weatherproof elphs. Anyone have any to say about them?

Old Jun 6, 2004, 9:40 PM   #6

Mick,

On this website, you can go to Steve's Reviews and pick cameras by Megapixels. Then you get a chart and can see the ones that use Smart Media.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 11:13 AM   #7

Thanks, srvsd. I didn't know about that feature. It's very helpful.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 11:57 AM   #8

Nikon coolpix 3700 maybe?
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 1:19 PM   #9

If you are willing to give up the pocketable thing, then I would pick up an Olympus C2100 UZ on Ebay, preferably from Olympus refurbished site, then pick up a C-series warranty (also on Olympus refurbished site),

This is why:

1. 10x optical zoom

2. Uses AA bats.

3. IMAGE STABILIZATION

4. Very nice sepia mode for old time photos.

Caveat: Do not let batteries run down to zip. You could end up with a dead oly c2100uz.

Otherwise, GREAT cam.

2 megapix, btw.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote