Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 5, 2004, 7:32 PM   #1
CVR

Hi all

I have been using a digital compact camera by FujiFilm for the past 2 years, i am now looking to purchase an enthusiast digital camera. I have done huge amounts of research into the cameras. Basically it boils down to whether i want to buy a digital camera with a fixed lens or a digital slr. I have no lens's, but buying one will accomadate my budget if i was to buy the Nikon D70. I have looked at hundreds of cameras, but have narrowed it down to, the Nikon D70 which is SLR, and the others are with fixed lens's, these include Sony DSC-F828, Nikon Coolpix 8700 and the Cannon Pro 1. I am really confused as to which one to buy. The things i am looking for in the camera are allot of features to accomadate for an enthusiast(not pro), VERY GOOD QUALITY photos (6-8MP), macro photography, landscape photography. Most of my photographs are of lanscapes, taken outdoors. The main factor for my next camera is the quality of photo's. Please could anyone help me or give as much advice as possible. As to the better camera, more factors to consider, or any other camera suggestions.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!

:??
CVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2004, 7:53 PM   #2

Hi CVR, I am currently using the PRO1 and am quite satisfied. The picture quality is excellent. You decision is extremely tough, as there is not a perfect camera on the market. They all have thier strengths and weakneses. Since you have already done alot of research I would suggest going to a camera shop and handling all of your possibilities to see if one stands out and has that perfect feel. Good luck!
mikesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 4:28 AM   #3
CVR

I have handled a few of the cameras but still cant make a decision, thanks for the reply mike.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 10:56 AM   #4

A good friend recently bought the Pentax *istD (well I selected it). It's a BEAUTIFUL camera .. small, light, extremely functional and well featured. You can get a KIT (we went for the dual Sigma lens kit) for approx US$1,400.00
I guarantee you'll love it. Uses CF, and either AA's OR CRV3 lithiums !!
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 12:28 PM   #5

I don't know much about any of the Camera's except the Nikon D70 which is what I have. Here are a few things I like about it:
  1. Good solid feel to it. Doesn't feel cheap like some camera's and has a good balance for holding.[/*]
  2. Fast. No discernable shutter lag or camera startup time. Turn it on, press the shutter button, the camera focuses real fast, takes picture. This is obviously great foraction, but may notbe a concern for you if you'll takeprimarily landscapes.[/*]
  3. Excellent battery life. It amazes me how long I can go before I have to recharge the battery.[/*]
  4. Camera works fine in all auto, or extremely easy to change shutter, aperture, iso, etc. With landscapes and macro's I would think you would want a lot of control over the exposure settings and you get that with a lot of ease by pressing a button or rotating a dial, unlike other camera's where you have to dig through extensive menus[/*]
  5. Great quality pictures. I've been very impressed with how sharp and vividthe pictures are. Also you can use raw, which the camera still works fast in, for more end product control.
[/*]
...... and I could really go on further, but I won't bore you. Just thought I'd hit some of the biggies on my list. Of course being an SLR, you will need to buy lenes, which would also include a macro if you want to get real close. As far as features go, I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean, can I control shutter, iso, aperture easily then yes it has it. It's very similar to a film slr. If you mean can I shoot in B&W, sepia (post proccessing with editors allow this), take movies, see the image on the lcd before taking the picture, then no. DSLR's are typically made for one thing .... takingexcellent pictures. If you want the other stuff,in camera B&W, movies, then it's not the camera for you.

Hope this helps.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:40 PM   #6

CVR, I was faced with exactly the same dilemma a couple of months ago. My analogue camera is a Canon EOS 50. My choice was between the EOS 300D, and the Canon Powershot Pro 1.

I decided on the Powershot Pro 1 because I wanted a camera which was light and easily portable. (I do work-site visits.) I don't regret my choice. The picture quality is pretty much comparable to that of the EOS 50. (With Canon lenses.)

The Pro 1 has the L series lens, which is very good. It has a TTL electronic viewfinder, which is nearly (but not quite) as good as the optical viewfinder on the SLR. The lens zooms from 28 mm to 200 mm (equivalent). 28mm is a handy wide angle. 200mm is a bit short, but with 8 megapixels, there is huge capacity for digital enlargement.

Super macro mode brings you to within 1.7 cm of your subject. I'm finding the focus difficult in this mode, but I'm stillon a learning curve with this camera.

My only quibbles are that there is a lot of noise at 200 and 400 iso. If you do a lot of low light work without a tripod, that could be a problem. (Although there is a free downloadable noise reduction program I could direct you to.)

I think that, ultimately, the SLR will give slightly better quality images. But on the downside, there is the bulk of the camera and lenses, and the cost of additional lenses you would need.
muskrat sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 2:51 AM   #7
CVR

Thank you all very much for your advice, i am leaning slightly towards the Nikon D70 due to the fact that it is an SLR with all the functionallity, and have heard it has great picture quality. Thank you all very much. Please if anyone has a Nikon D70 could you tell me your personal Pro's and Con's for this camera ! Have you experienced any mailfunctions ? Is it possible for you to e-mail me a picture taken with the D70 on top resolution ? Thank you all
Old Jun 7, 2004, 8:43 AM   #8

CVR, you should take a look in the Nikon DSLR forum here. I'm sure some people who post there have the D70 and would tell you what they think of the camera.

Something that should not be minimized is the weight and size issue. Make sure you go see the camera first hand. Feel what its like, check out the button placement. Make sure it fits comfortably in your hands and all that. For some people size and weight matters and so they choose based on that. That doesn't seem to be you, but you shouldn't write that stuff off either.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 1:23 PM   #9
Zal

Well, you didn't mention your budget, and that will come into play eventually. The D70 is an excellent camera, but if you want to do macros, landscapes, and general "all around" stuff, you will need 2, possibly 3 different lenses. You overall cost will be several times what you would pay for an all-in-one model, not to mention have to carry the extra lenses with you around town/on vacation. The overall "image quality" will generally be better with the SLR, but obviously at a cost.

That said, I own the Sony 828, and I am thrilled with the quality. It has an excellent macro mode, and general all around shooting is fast, with great quality.

You just have to decide what best foryou.
Zal is offline   Reply With Quote