Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 6, 2004, 10:08 AM   #1

Looking at getting a new camera and can't decide between the Canon A80 and S50. Both seem to get good write ups and have their own pros and cons. The camera is primarily going to be used for taking pictures of our 8 month old so I think the deciding factor is going to be how they compare when taking shots indoors using flash.

Can anyone advise which will give the best results

Cheers

Jim

JimboM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2004, 7:15 PM   #2

I've had some red-eye issues with my S50. My little nephews look like they are about to shoot lazers out of their eyes. Otherwise its a nice camera.

I have the Canon A10 (which has a form factor similar to the A80) and seemed to have much less red-eye issues. I don't know if its the same for the A80.

This could also be that my I'm taking more pics of my nephews with the S50. From what I heard once before (don't know if its true), newborns and toddlers are more likely to give red-eye in photos.
Effen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 5:55 AM   #3

Thanks for you input Effen

I think you are right about newborns as virtually every picture I've taken of my little one has had severe redeye, I'm quite adept at correcting this on PS now !

JimboM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 11:55 AM   #4

The easiest way to avoid red eye, use an off-camera flash (external) that is offset from the camera lens. Most point&shoot cameras have trouble with red eye because the flash is so close to the lens.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote