Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:51 AM   #1

:homey:Hi Everyone.

Today`s buzz word seems to be "purple fringing" or Chromatic aberration. Everyone is getting steamed up about it ruining pictures especially with the new 8MP cameras.

Don`t worry. Try this. You`ll kick yourself for not doint it before.

Open a picture with fringing problems. Doesn`t matter if its purple or any other color. Go to layers (Photoshop) and make new(blank) layer. Set blend to color (near bottom of menu). Choose a siutable size brush (Accuracy not required.) Atl / click on dark or very light area near any bit of fringing with eyedropper. Paint over all the bits offringing as roughly as you like. See them disappear. Then flatten image.

Good luck

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2004, 11:35 AM   #2

Thanks for the tip. I haven't had occasion to try it but I will file that away. I generally prefer doing things myself like red-eye reduction to letting some program screw it up for me on automatic. My guess is that I will likely prefer your solution to automatic CA and purple fringing reduction.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 1:21 PM   #3

:homey: Hi Slipe

It`s a very efficient method. I`ve experimented on Red eye reduction with it and find that it works well with a slight modification. Don`t use the eyedropper but click the foreground color in the tool box. Select the color you think is right for the eye and use that. If it`s too light change the blend to darken and darken using a low percentage. Or you can try another foreground color or shade.

Regards

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 2:37 PM   #4

I just blow up the eye after sampling the darkest black in the image. I paint in the pupil then sample the iris color if there is any left to paint that in. Then I put the highlight back in the pupil. It takes only a minute or so per eye unless I have to create an iris color and I like the results better than anything I can do otherwise. After I get the red out I lighten the edge of the iris if it is a close up portrait – otherwise the straight iris color works fine.

I'll try your CA/purple fringing technique next chance I get.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote