Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 7, 2004, 6:56 PM   #1

Does the new forum software include algorithms for checking for objectional verbage and making automatic substitutions?

I made a post a couple days ago containing the word that is the opposite of heaven. When I looked at the post about fifteen minutes later, the word had been changed to "heck". Was this done automatically or did you do it? I am not objecting to the substitution as I was probably out of line in using the word. I am more concerned with how the substitution occurred and who did it.

I was responding to posted picture of a Wasp or Hornet and I stated the if you get stung, it will hurt like h***. Personally, I don't consider that to cursing or swearing but there are others that do. I know this is a family oriented website (and a darn good one, at that!) and my language would be considered inappropriate by many.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2004, 9:45 PM   #2

It looks like the filter isn't working...if you search for a certain word beginning with "F" it finds several instances of it.

Another thing that isn't working correctly, the little green arrows that is supposed to send you to the most recent posts in a message.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:22 PM   #3

In the older forum software it was done automatically. I don't know if this newer package does it or not.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:29 PM   #4

you just say "it hurt like poopies"! lol

i don't curse....ever....so i wouldn't know if it censors it! lol
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:30 PM   #5
Administrator

calr wrote:
Quote:
Does the new forum software include algorithms for checking for objectional verbage and making automatic substitutions?

Yes, it does auto-filter most of the inappropriate words that should not be used here.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:45 PM   #6

hm... interesting...

I wonder if I should sell my Canon A80... I never use that fornication-committer anymore, even though my Canon S1's high ISO low light pictures look like they came out of the Lake of Fire.... not to mention the prices for a decent low-light high-iso fast-shutter pocketable digicam are mixed with dog doo and horse manure....
Oh, should I post some pictures of some twin fawns grazing in some lilies? Or what about a rooster piggybacking on a kitty?

let's see what the filter does with THOSE...

Oh, speaking of the twin fawns, anyone know where I could get a good pic of them (besides at the zoo) to set as the start-up image on my S1 IS? (btw I'm not talking about what the linked text above is comparing to the fawns)
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 8:16 AM   #7

Well, I'll have to admit... I'm an adult male, so hearing (or reading) words like h.e.l.l. (ha HAH! :P) sure isn't going to ruin my day. I'm a bit against filtering software, unless it goes after the "real biggies" that start with "F,MF, etc."... once you get into that kinda lingo, you've crossed the line from "normal adult language" to street talk.

For sites like the American Idol site (yes, I will admit.. I've been there) I can see some stricter controls as there are so many kids on that site, and I'd really love to see AOL put some filters in the chat rooms... the stuff I see my 12 year old nephew read in them is insane. Still, when dealing with more adult-oriented chat rooms such as this, dpreview, etc., I think "simple" adult words like h.e.l.l. and d.a.m.n. shouldn't be filtered out. If someone is so sensitive that THOSE words offend them, I can't possibly see how they function in the everyday real world.

Just my personal opinion. :?
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 1:13 PM   #8

But the reality is that some kids do come here and post. There is at least on under 15, and I think one around 10 years old. So while this is predominantly an adult location the kids do end up here.

And even if they don't post, I know some parents who take their kids here to look in the picture forums.

While I'm generally against sensorship, what happens here doesn't go far enough to truly offend me.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 2:09 PM   #9

im 13 and it doesnt bother me in the least....i would never talk like that anyway

but i agree, its a bad influence

brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 3:57 PM   #10

I post on some boards without a filter and am appalled at some of the language used on a board that is available to everyone. When I am out fishing with my buddies such language is common and expresses things very well sometimes, but it isn't appropriate here IMO.

A profanity filter isn't exactly "censorship" in the broad sense. I would consider censorship as Steve deleting or modifying posts he doesn't like – and he doesn't do that.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote