Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 8, 2004, 10:56 AM   #1

I've spent hours and hours rersearching and looking... I want these criteria:

1. Excellent quality photos.

2. Quick to take picture after picture using flash

3. Excellent indoor pics

4. Digital zoom

5. Feels good to hold - metal body probably

Size doesn't matter, manual doesn't matter, extras don't matter...

Any opinions?
bjdobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:08 AM   #2

bjdobson wrote:
Quote:
I've spent hours and hours rersearching and looking... I want these criteria:

1. Excellent quality photos.

2. Quick to take picture after picture using flash

3. Excellent indoor pics

4. Digital zoom

5. Feels good to hold - metal body probably

Size doesn't matter, manual doesn't matter, extras don't matter...

Any opinions?

1. Excellent quality photos come from the operator. There is no camera made that takes perfect pictures without operator interaction. You must understand your camera and how to make it work best. You will not get excellent pictures from a camera that all you have to do is press the button. Most cameras available today have the abiltiy to take great pictures.

2. This is a function of not only the camera, but the battery. It may be a limitation that will be a problem for every camera based on your definition of rapid fire shooting.

3. See number 1. I will add that you probably will not get excellent indoor pics from a camera that relies on the onboard flash because that flash generally doesn't supply sufficient power. You can get good pictures, but excellent is another issue.

4. Digital zoom is the same as enlarging a picture .... it degrades image quality ... optical zoom is MUCH MUCH better. Ignore digital zoom at all costs!

5. Go to the store and handle the cameras. Find what you like and what you don't like.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:40 AM   #3

1. Most of the camera MFRs you mentioned make cameras that cam produce quality photos provided the photographer works at it.

2. Look for a camera with an external flash option.

3. An external flash can provide you greater range on indoor pics, but a camera with a fast lens and mulitple ISO settings will also help

4. Concur with Ohenry - do not worry about digital zoom you want optical zoom

5. I never buy a car without test driving. Go to the local stores and hold some of the cameras. I tend to recommend cameras that use Compact Flash cards. Make a small investment and buy you a CF card to take sample pics. Take the card home and look at them on the computer. You will need to buy a card reader also.

gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:50 AM   #4

I meant OPTICAL zoom... brain failure moment!!

I guess I mean high resolution, good pictures - some cameras are just horrid - you send them online and can hardly make out any detail. Also, good color - no purple, etc.,

Card reader? Flash card?

I'm just the average photographer, not looking to get into SLR or anything. I've been reading Steve's reviews and finding out about purple in some pictures and dark pictures and out of focus pictures.

I think I want the Sony PC100, mostly because it's supposed to be one of the quicker cameras to take a picture then take another then take another without getting into "burst" mode (to catch the kids or something as they move FAST and you want to catch that, and catch that, etc). Some seem to take 6 to 10 seconds between pictures - Sony is much, much faster.

The only problem I'm having with P100 is the price. Cheapest I've found it is $350 US PLUS shipping PLUS customs and duty - which is well over $500 Canadian by the time I'm finished. Is it really worth it or are there comparable cameras out there that are as good but more cost effective?

bjdobson is offline   Reply With Quote