Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:34 AM   #1

I am in the market to replace my Olympus C-3040Z - and because of a special optic I will be attaching to the camera to take 360 degree panoramic photos, I need an image with very low noise and a lack of purple fringing (and a mounting ring/threads of course) My budget is "less than $1000".

I've searched the review boards but can't find information that rates cameras based on these specifications.

My preference would also that the camera have a flip-out, pivoting or rotating LCD screen that is 1.8" or larger.

Can any of you help me with options please.

[email protected] (Paul)
songsender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:44 PM   #2

The question is how low noise do you need? The lowest noise class of camera is a digital SLR. They have larger sensors which inherently give them an advantage over other smaller sensors in the area of noise.

I don't know of a DSLR which has a swing out LCD, but they might exist. Either way, I also don't know of one which projects the image on to the LCD while taking the picture (which is why you want the swing up LCD, I assume... to look at the picture.)

The problem is your budget. There is only one that is within that range, and its the Canon Digital Rebel. The Nikon D70 might be, but I don't believe it comes with a lens at that price point.

Beyond that, you'll have to ask someone else who knows more about consumer grade fixed lens cameras.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 8:56 AM   #3

The Canon DR with Kit Lens is running $900.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 9:02 AM   #4

I don't believe the Canon Digital Rebel or the Nikon D70 have the needed flip out LCD screen for my application.

Thanks for the reply.
songsender is offline   Reply With Quote