Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 11, 2004, 3:02 PM   #1
CVR

Hi all

How important is the ISO range when choosing a digital camera, i am fairly new to the whole thing. I am looking to buy either the NIkon D70, NIkon 8700 or SONY cyber shot F828 ! Is this factor very important or not?? Nikon D70 has the highest ISO range. I am looking for a digital camera but have no lens's and the 8700 and F828 offer the camera with a decent lens. Can someone please help me. Thank you for any replies !!!!
CVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2004, 3:08 PM   #2

ISO range is important in camera selection. The lower the ISO range the more light you need for the sensor. The higher the ISO range less light is needed. The tradeoff is that the higher the ISO the more noise you will have. I often balance shutter speed and ISO to create the effect that I want. You may find that you need to increase the ISO rating to maintain the same shutter speed. This is often true indoors and lower light conditions.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 3:35 PM   #3
CVR

Thank you, i have read endless amounts of reviews and information on the Nikon D70 can you recomend this over the other camera's i have narrowed it down to???
Old Jun 11, 2004, 3:42 PM   #4
CVR

For me the choice lays whether i go for a Prosumer Digital camera, or the Nikon D70 (Amatuer SLR), i am truly stuck and dont really know how to distinguish the two, can anyine help explain the difference ??? I have no lens's at all, so i was thinking my best bet would be to go for the prosumer camera's which have a good all round lens, but the ISO range is not as good as the SLR's. I am looking for a good camera, with allot of functionallity, GREAT picture quality (most important), ability for lanscape, macro, etc. My budget is the price of the D70. Can anyone please help me... I would ideally be looking for a prosumer with the functionallity and features of an SLR or the closest.. Please help !!! THANK YOU
Old Jun 11, 2004, 4:24 PM   #5

I had the Nikon 5700 and went over to the DSLR camera. The D70 is an excellent DSLR (entry level). I do not regret buying the DSLR it is just an amazing what you can do with the DSLR. I bought the Canon Digital Rebel. The downfall to the DSLR is the NEED (maybe want) to have more lenses. The Nikon 5700 was a great camera but it can not compare to a DSLR.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 5:07 PM   #6

I agree with Phil. I had (actualy still have; I haven't sold it and my 420EX Speedlight yet) a prosumer Canon G3 and do not regret buying my Nikon D70. There simply is no comparison between a DSLR and the fixed lens prosumer cameras. The DSLR's offer you a far wider ISO range; the 8700 and Sonylimit at 400 ISO and get quite noisy at those levels; got o www.dcrp.com and compart the 400 ISO shots of the 8700 and F828 to the Digital Rebel or D70 400 ISO shots. You will see.

Here's why: the imaging chip in the D70 and D100 measures 23.7x15.6mm (about 2/3-inch) where the chip in the prosumer cams is maybe 1/1.8" diagonally. The manufacturers are cramming a lot of pixels into a smaller space, which means a lot of electical activity which show up in your images. A DSLR may only rate 6.1 megapixels, but they are larger pixels so they can much more flexible.

I debated between the Digital Rebel and the D70, but chose the D70 because I wanted to be able to control flash exposure (without having to use a hacked firmware), larger image buffer, and the ability to fine-tune the white balance presets. The D70 is really more advanced than a Digital Rebel. I borrowed a friends Digital Rebel for a weekend and it was easy to use; so much so that it was like using my G3. It has taken lots of experimentation with settings, uploaded curves, white balance fine tuning, and other CSM/Shooting menu changes and I just now feel that I am gettingsettings to my preferences have just a basic understanding of what happens when I change x (x being whatever setting you might have just changed). It really just takes patience with your self and the camera (yourself more than anything, the camera just does what it is told) while on this learning curve.

Damon
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 5:41 PM   #7
CVR

I thank you all very much for your time and usefull information, i think after all this time i will go for the D70!!! I will post back when i have bought it and to give some information to other potential buyers. Thank you all for your time.

:-):-)
Old Jun 11, 2004, 5:47 PM   #8

I got a Minolta Z1 a few months ago, but just bought a D70. I do mainly sports, and ISO topping out at 400 hasn't been enough (how much of my problem is max ISO of 400 and how much is my camera's inability to focus is somewhat in doubt, I reckon). But for your described uses, I don't know how important extra ISO speed will be. I'm not familiar enough with stuff like landscape and macro shooting to know what the 'ideal' ISO speed is. One thing to consider, as it appears you already have, is the cost of further accessories. Say you get the 18-70 or a 24-85G to cover wideangle on the D70--there's $300 on top of the camera cost right there. Even a cheapo zoom like the Nikon 70-300G will set you back at least another $100; the Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro II has gotten a lot of good reviews but that's $200. I believe the D70 will give you on average better shots than the other two cameras you listed, but with lenses it will probably be some $500 more.

Hope that helps.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 11:34 AM   #9

That's a personal choice, really. I looked at the D100 and the 8700, both from Nikon. I settled for the 8700 after much soul searching as to where I wanted to go with my photography. After taking photos for 30 years, and carrying about 30-40 lbs of 35mm equiqment, my right shoulder, I swear, is lower than my left! Anyway, I chose purposely to be limited in the amount of gear I carry and I chose the 8700. This is my 3rd Digital camera and I couldn't be happier after owning it almost four months and having taken over 6800 pics. I always shoot at the ISO 50 which is the lowest. ISO 100 is good to when needed but anything higher, to me, is too grainy or "noisy" in digital parlance. I miss the speed of the more pro dig cameras and 35mm when shooting road racing or rally racing, but, I've learned to adapt.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with my choice. The camera body, a lenshood (from Bernie at www.nextphoto.net) that allows attachment of filters, three filters, three CF 512mb cards, extra battery, and a 5GB external HD for uploading images and I'm ready to go.
As a matter of fact, I am now preparing to head into the Great Smokey Mountains for a photo trip and I'm already packed and ready to go.
Good Luck.
Jmoro

jmoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 4:04 PM   #10

Jmoro - couldn't agree with you more on the equipment issue. I went through the same 30 years - surprised we didn't bump into one another.Personally I don't plan on going down that road again and if the need arises I'll shoot film with my old Nikon.
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote