Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 13, 2002, 7:20 AM   #1

Default external flash on ttl sync cord sony 707or nikon 5700

is there a way to use flash w/ sync cord for either sony 707or nikon5700.I do a lot of macro and need the flash positioned off camera
daveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2002, 7:47 AM   #2
NHL

May I suggest a 'no-name' D7i: You can do it even without a sync-cord, ie wirelessly...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...ge7hi_pg2.html

[Edited on 9-13-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2002, 11:51 AM   #3

Yes, but you may have to use them in the manual mode (sorry no TTL), first buy the optional hotshoe to pc socket converter, then connect the syncho cord to the pc socket and the flash, set the camera at the synchro speed for flash mode then shoot it in manual mode (remember in the manual mode you have to set everything yourself, check distance from camera to subject, set ISO speed and so on...), flash meter is very useful in this application...it will help you to elimminate all the manual calculations away..cheers...

[Edited on 9-13-2002 by [email protected]]
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2002, 3:55 PM   #4

thanks...boy that sounds laborious.maybe the way to go is the D7i w/remote flash..lots of conflicting reports on the D7i though
Old Sep 13, 2002, 5:29 PM   #5

yes, sure it, but manual mode always give you better or favorable results, remember you will in total control of lighting...so never leave home without the flash meter...

By the way, if you look at most of the pictures on any advetising pictures on any magazine, almost more than 95 %of them are taking with flash outdoor, in full manual mode...and that's the facts...no need to spend time to find those pictures, just look at the front cover of the magazine...cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2002, 10:06 PM   #6
NHL

The external flash on the D7i is TTL, and you can always put it(them) on manual as well... just like the Sony and Nikons! However, the D7i is not a Point & Shoot, and if you can master all its flexibility this is what you can expect:

http://www.photosig.com/photos.php?cameraId=329
http://www.pbase.com/brachiopod/root

If people can't handle what the D7i can achieve then of course they would be groaning and complaining. The 707 would be the easiest to get good results right out of the box with the 5700 splitting the difference. They are all excellent cameras BTW.

The D7i is the most SLR like with manual zoom (and focusing ring) as well as threaded filter. It also sports a real-time histogram (but then you wouldn't care much in the flash mode), otherwise it's a real bonus as well, plus the ease and the economical use of standard AA NiMh over the other two cameras! If you want the Sony or Nikon cachet however then it's definetly not for you...
Old Sep 13, 2002, 10:36 PM   #7

the minolta is sounding better all the time
Old Sep 14, 2002, 5:59 AM   #8
NHL

BTW pictures on magazine cover are heavily photoshoped, and so are the outputs from the 707/717 with the best resulting saturation. The 5700 is best at noise reduction, while the D7i tries to preserve details at the expense of noise @ the default setting (i.e. normal). If this setting is set to soft however then its output rivals anything out there, which the dpReview article conveniently failed to mention!

The camera now comes both in black and silver. Detractors can not call it ugly anymore, not when the D7Hi can do 5 frames of raw @ 3fps (not too many other digicams regardless of price can claim this).
Old Sep 15, 2002, 2:23 AM   #9

NHL you new nick should be Menimem. For minolta man. you sure know your D7i. HOpe i am as good with my D7Hi.
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2002, 5:39 AM   #10
NHL

rikster

I'm just a rational guy that's all (unlike others who stuck their head in the sand touting one brand over another). I've been helping others as well (with the same cameras that I have owned) in the old forum. I missed the BSS and the 3:2 mode of the Nikon for example. I also wished all cameras should sport a simple one wheel interface of the Agfa 1680, another perfect example of German efficiency(...It's made in Japan by Konica).

If another digicam comes along and is technically better, I would not hesitate to jump ship in a heartbeat!