Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 12, 2004, 8:27 AM   #1

Dilemma: Last year, after trading my 35mm Canon FD to the EOS system, I kept the following equipment which I gave to my 18 year old son (I had already gotten my older son a Canon Rebel Ti): Canon T90, 35mm 2.0, 85mm 1.8 & 80-200mm 4.0L lens, Sunpak 383 Super& a Brand New Lowepro bag. He has made several trips - including to the Beach & New Orleans, & has yet to even use this camera. This is equipment I could trade for myself another lens - or trade it for him a point & shoot style Digital. (I gave my older son my Minolta S404 Digital when I got the 300D & he loves it!).

A close friend told me - if you gave it to him, don't take it away. Heis goingoff to college this fall & I would like some input from some of you Adults out there. I don't expect him to go out & shoot pix every day, but to have a camera for almost a full year with No use doesn't make sense. I had taken him out shooting all one Saturday back in 2002 & he loved it! Keep in mind he has a Girlfriend - been dating her for a year & sings in a band. Was quite busy his Senior year, especially 2nd semester, & has Always made good grades!

Your input is welcome.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2004, 1:24 PM   #2

Whatever you do DO NOT TAKE IT BACK!It is a gift not a loan.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:48 PM   #3

Normc - thanks - any other suggestions? Should I ask him if he would prefer to have a Digital camera & trade that equipment for the digital?

David
Old Jun 13, 2004, 2:04 PM   #4

It is a difficult choice, as that is a fair amount of money just sitting there doing nothing.

I agree with normc, it was a gift. The only way you could do something with it would be to ask if you could use it. For example, you could get a dSLR which would at least use those lenses (don't know about the Sunpak.)

There is something to be said for the smaller camera. Its easier to carry around and use. You don't feel like its a production, its just the little thing in your pocket.

Difficult choice.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 6:34 PM   #5

I would see little or no harm in asking him as long you make it clear that what was given is his regardless of the lack of use.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 12:41 PM   #6

OK guys - in conversation the other day, I asked him if he would like for me to trade all of this equipment & get him a Digital camera, & he said 'No, I want to stick with film for now & learn how to use it". I guess that takes care of that, But . . . . What is he waiting for?? His Girlfriend's family has a Nice Lake home in North central Alabama & he has all kinds of Photo ops over there!!

And, he could be taking pix of his Band members when they are out on the road - I mean - New Orleans, Meridian, Greenwood, Music Festivals . . . . . maybe this fall when he gets to college.

Oh well . . . .