- proprietary battery vs. AA
- MS Duo vs. MS

Similarities:

- CCD?
- 2.5 inch LCD?
- shutter response?
- movie mode?
- various picture modes and features?

The review of the W1 doesn't mention the T1 at all so if they shared same components or whether the overall image quality was similar, you would think Steve would have noted it.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2004, 9:10 PM   #2

Negatives of T-1:

Weak flash (rated to 5')
Slower lens worsens low light shooting
Tends to blow highlights
Lack of viewfinder(other than LCD) means holding it up in front of you, sometimes almost in peoples faces. Not great for candid shots.
Shutter lag frustrating after shooting with my D70.
LCD (only viewfinder) hard to see with sun to your back.

Positives of T-1:

When you get a properly exposed picture, the color is beautiful. It rivals my D70.
Small size makes it a great pocket camera.
Large LCD screen is nice

Unless you need the extreme pocketability, almost any good 5MP camera would probably be a better choice due to the above negatives.

Here are some grab shots I just made Friday with the T-1. I would have prefered my D70, but it was too bulky for this type event. A Canon G5 would have worked good, I think. Because of the weak flash of the T-1, I had to get right on top of people with wide angle.

http://www.pbase.com/deanej/top_40

These are just some of my thoughts for what it's worth.

By the way, I realize this is not responsive to the question you asked, but since the T-1 came up, I thought it might be useful to have some feedback on it's performance as I see it.

Deane
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 9:52 PM   #3

Thanks, that was very helpful. Didn't know about the shortcomings. I thought the shutter response was good compared to other cameras in its class? But obviously not going to compare with a prosumer model.

The form-factor is very seductive. But the W-1 is debuting at $100 less than the T-1, so I'd assumed the major difference was that thin body (which of course leads to the unique folding lens and the proprietary battery and the Duo).
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:42 AM   #4

By the way, I'm real pleased with the battery life of the T-1. I've shot 75-80 pictures with flash and it still wasn't down. Of cource, being a lithium-ion, it was probably due to drop fast at any time.

The T-1 may indeed have shutter response that is good compared to the flock of point and shoots. I'm a bit spoiled by the D70.

When shooting things like I did in the link provided, the lag of any camera drives me crazy. I'd think I had a good shot and by the time the camera fired, someone had looked away or raised a hand in gesture, or something. Shutter lag is OK for static subjects, or perhaps posed shots, but tough with unposed people candids.

This digital thing is a whole new learning experience for someone using film SLRs for 35 years.

Deane
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
The review of the W1 doesn't mention the T1 at all so if they shared same components or whether the overall image quality was similar, you would think Steve would have noted it.
Steve has a pretty full plate just keeping up with reviews on new cameras. I doubt he has either the time or permission to disassemble test cameras to satisfy the idle curiosity a few people.

What components are shared is immaterial. The performance of the total package is what is significant and Steve covers that. Comparing the sample photos will tell you how well the camera takes pictures with the components it has. Steve covered most of the disadvantages Deane mentioned in his review. The T1 might have bad shutter lag compared to a DSLR but it is fast compared to other non-DSLR cameras . Cycle time isn't great unless you use burst mode. The W1 is pretty good on shutter lag and almost 3 times as fast on normal cycle times.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote