Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 16, 2002, 11:01 AM   #11

A tripod adequate for this purpose, will no tcost much .. maybe $60. If you need to use a copy stand, the existing one should be fine or look for something with a flexible arm .. gain adequate equipment is not likley to be expensive since these cameras are light.

A useful accessory would be an external LCD screen or samll TV (we use TVs because they are easier to look at) .. agin not expensive .. go to Circuit City

The hardest issue is likley to be light ing. I would stay away from flash, why deal with it when you can use the camera's ability to preview? But good lights are expensive, esp if you are trying to see a lot of different thngs.

As fpr Pshop ... aren't you at a Unversity? You should be able to get the academic ver for 250.

Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 2:19 PM   #12

I'd really suggest a better tripod than any you can get for $60. A Bogen/Manfroto or Gitzo with an "ariculated" center post will get you into good possition for shooting small stuff.

If you aren't going to use flash (much easier to use with a digicam's preview), keep in mind that Hot Lights are called that for a good reason. They will turn a small room into a sauna very quickly.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 2:55 PM   #13

BillDrew,

Actually, there's a Coolpix Soft Light thingy (gotta read up on it) that can be used for macros, which is more of what we do for archives. It has 6 or so teeny incandescent lights, and it mounts onto the camera (with the obigatory step up ring , I assume...).
crowmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 8:43 PM   #14

reference this for info on choosing a tripod

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=2203

i hope you will find it infomative. if you have more questions just ask.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 8:59 PM   #15

the coollight sl-1 is a battery powered unit. it consists of i believe 6 white LEDs. i have read 1 review from a user on this site that on shiney items such as some jewelery it gives reflections. i can see this happening due to the each LED being a point source light possibly causing hotspots. the current LEDs are formed with the lens built right into the unit. the round dome of the LED is actually a directional lens. going off the central axis and the light drop off is fairly large. putting a reflecter around it has little effect on direction or dispertion of the light. a real xenon tube ring light would be much better because of the even light.

newer LEDs are coming out that have wider coverage.

this is just opinion mixed in with some fact. take as you may.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 9:41 PM   #16

Oh, my-O-my.... The museum syndrom, a musuem collection that wants reproductions and needs an extreamly cheap means to get it. Why not ask some of the pro's around the neighborhood to give a bid for some of the surviceses you need and get pro results! You may find some that are able to do what you want for a reasonable price and not invest in expensive equiment and education.

I've, my partner and I, did it for the Denver Historcial Museum years back with the William Henry Jackson collection! (All glass plate negatives)
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 11:09 AM   #17

I would avoid the ring light. They are fine for shooting teeth if you area dentist!

But dentists use lights that are directed dirtectly at an object ... we do not see things that way!
Old Sep 17, 2002, 11:11 AM   #18

Tripods??

Heavy pro pods are not needed with a light weight camera. More importnat are portability (sic) and flexibility. E.g. can you make it small, foes the ehad work smoothly? is the elevation device useable?
Old Sep 17, 2002, 11:29 AM   #19

for fine detail work such as portions of a piece rings are good. like you said dentist and teeth. this is part of archiving. the fine details revealed on a larger view. just my opinion. i've used it in macro work frequently.