Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 16, 2004, 5:55 AM   #1

I am reluctant to dive in and get a digital camera just yet as techology seems to be moving so quickly that my camera will soon be outdated. I am in two minds.... does anyone out there having any views on this?!? thanks.....:?
First Time Buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2004, 6:42 AM   #2
AMG

what is your budget ? And how large will you print ?those will be the deciding factors. there are plenty of great cameras if you want to spend the money that produce excellent results. The only reason to wait is to save money, or because you will print 24x36 or something.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 7:04 AM   #3

Go for it!
There will always be something faster, better etc in the future. Todays digicams do take images that in most cases rival your basic 35MM camera unless your a professional using a professional SLR. You be able to look at the images before they are printed, manipulate images with software, store them on a drive, be able to send them easily to others through email. You won't have to wait for the images to be developed to see if you captured what you wanted.

A digicam is a lot of fun and you will find you will take a lot more shots and catch some very memorable momments since your not having to pay for all the developing of pictures youre not sure you really want. In four months I have probably taken 2,000 pictures, I probably never did that the whole time I had a film camera.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 7:50 AM   #4

First Time Buyer wrote:
Quote:
I am reluctant to dive in and get a digital camera just yet as techology seems to be moving so quickly that my camera will soon be outdated. I am in two minds.... does anyone out there having any views on this?!? thanks.....:?

I remember the same comments when personal computers burst onto the scene and started gaining popularity. Don't let technology pass you by because you're worried about what tomorrow will bring. Here is a fact about electronics:Todays top of the line equipment will be replaced by tomorrows top of the line offering. But remember: It will still work tomorrow just as well as it works today; it just won't have some of the fancy bells and whistles as the latest and greatest.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 7:52 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies - i hadnt really considered the printing aspect. IS it worth getting a photo quality printer if i get a digicam?
First Time Buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:18 AM   #6

It depends on for what purpose you'll be printing.

I have an Epson R300 printer, which I use to print 4x6 and 5x7 "casual shots" for around the house frames, or to send to relatives. If I want to do an 8x10 print to give someone as a more formal gift, etc., I use my local Sam's Club which runs a digital image through their lab for less than $2.00 each.

If you would actually want to sell your prints commercially or to the public in general, you would want to invest in a more professional level larger format printer such as the Epson 2200.

Only YOU can answer as to whether you need a photo printer for home use or not.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 9:34 AM   #7
AMG

yes, but for non-commercial use, the quality of these new inkjets are really spectacular, I use canon i860
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:35 AM   #8

First Time Buyer wrote:
Quote:
Get a digicam, any digicam. Even a BarbieCam that you give to your sister/daughter/... for her birthday in a few months. Spend some time learning how to edit and print the pictures. In a few/several months you will have a much better idea of what you want and you will be prepared to use it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote