Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 16, 2004, 3:06 PM   #1

Hello,

I am stuck in an 8 mp dilemma: Nikon 8700 or Olympus 8080. I am a bit confused as to what camera would suit my needs best, and am pleading for some advice. I am a field biologist and shoot primarily in the rainforest where there is low-light conditions. Most of my photos are macro-shots of animals and plants. I'm torn because Nikon has more zoom and a better macro function than the Olympus. HOwever, the Olympus has better image quality and performs better in low-light conditions.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!
jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2004, 3:57 PM   #2

Jenny

I am recommending you purchase the Canon Digital Rebel with the lens kit. The DSLR will provide you with the use of higher ISO settings and less noise. The cost of the Canon is under $900 on line. This is the same cost as the Nikon or Olympus you are considering purchasing.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 4:02 PM   #3

Thanks so much. I was actually considering buying the Digital Rebel, but because I do so much fieldwork (hiking around in humid, muddy conditions), I opted not to purchase a bulky, albeit superior camera. I figured I would need to purchase a telephoto lens and a macro lens...which would be too much to carry.

thanks again!
jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 4:58 PM   #4

Jenny

I would then recommend the Olympus 8080. The lens is a little faster than the 8700 and the reviews of the camera are just a little better than the 8700.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 1:02 PM   #5

Superior? to the 8700? I think not. It's Plastic. The 8700 is magnesium allow. Also the 8700 has superior macor focusing down to as close as 1.2 inches. I also looked at a digital rebel, and a Nikon D100. And still opted for the overal features of the 8700.
Good luck in your decision!

JMoro
jmoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 1:52 PM   #6

The C-8080 has an all magnesium body.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 3:52 PM   #7

From a very personal perspective I don't like the feel of the 8080. How a camerafits my hand, the gripboth horizontal and vertical, and how wellI can hold onto it, isreallybig in my book. I tried a lot of digitals before picking up aNikon 5700 and itfits my hand perfectly.As an aside I'm not crazy about the fact thatthe 8080 doesn't take AA's but that's a personal preference. With the 8700 at least you can add the battery pack. Thedraw back with both cameras is 'the low light' requirement. The on-board flashes won't be of much use when shooting macro. I'd look into this aspectcarefully before making a final choice.I realize you want to travel light but given your photo needs I would think an additionalflash is almost a requirement.A wireless remote feature would be great. Also take a look at the available accessories for each camera before you make the purchase .
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote