Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 18, 2004, 8:54 AM   #1

I was downloading the pictures onto my PC. After all the images were downloaded the camera asks; do you want to delete the pictures off the card? I selected "YES" and it removed all the pictures off the chip AND the PC. I CAN"T loose these pictures - what do I do???
macrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:08 AM   #2
Administrator

Try this one (free) to recover any images that have not been overwritten. You can specify a directory you want save them to on your PC's hard disk. As long as your camera's memory card appears as a drive letter, it should work fine.

The web page is in German, but the installation will allow you to select English as the Language.

http://www.happyfoto.de/rescue.htm

Here is the same page (translated into English by Google):

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl...8%26oe%3DUTF-8

You will see a download link for "Digital Image Recovery: on the page. If you have trouble finding it, here is the direct download link to the software:

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid= 14

The download is compressed (.zip file), so you will need pkunzip.exe or winzip (or another utility capable of extracting the installation .exe file to install it. You can download an eval copy of winzip here:

http://www.winzip.com/ddchomea.htm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:16 AM   #3

Thank you for your assistance. I will try this and let you know.

When I try to re-download from the disc IN the camera the camera indicated there is nothing on the disc. I am worried sick, these are pictures of a wedding. Later
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:38 PM   #4

Or you can use this one. http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital_image_recovery.htm

I downloaded it, it works fine. Good luck! I have to do a wedding tomorrow as a favor (unpaid). I`m going to use both film and digital.
z2me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 11:39 PM   #5

That's odd that the program did that. You didn't mention which program or even which camera, but most people use Windows Explorer with a card reader and right-click drag the pictures from the card to the specific directory. Note, you should select COPY, NOT MOVE to do this. Then when you are sure the pictures have been copied to the computer, eject the card from the reader, pop it in the camera, and use the cameras erase/format feature to erase the picutres from the card.

Given the chance, the computer will always do the wrong thing, and this method ensures the pictures are saved on the hard drive and gives you a temporary backup until you make sure (I check EVERY TIME I download pictures just after I've removed the card).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 7:25 AM   #6

Thank you for your assistance, here is more info.....

I am using the Tochiba PDR-M4 2.1 Mega Pixal camera WITH their software "Image Expert 1.8.4" When I select the "download pictures" I get all the pictures downloading into a default file, with todays date. When ALL the files are into this file the system then asks, "do you want to delete the pictures off the camera disc?".

Usually at that point I select "yes" and it cleans off the camera disc and I have all the pictures on the PC. This time when I selected yes, EVERY thing went - even off the PC! This has NEVER happened! These are from a wedding I shot last weekend.
I used 2 video cameras and with one of the cameras I brought 2 diferent power supplies AND my digital. The digital is what I am having difficulty with!!!!

Another person here on this discussion board suggested trying to download(transfer) the images from the "cameras disc" as if it were a seperate drive I tried that and the camera DOES show up as a seperate drive AND therei s a folder there but when I click on that is comes up empty! I am going to try his suggested software NOW I'll keep you posted! Thank you again - I DO need the help!!! Good luck at your shoot!
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:22 AM   #7

I downloaded the software and everything went smooth - on the download!

Now when I insert the "problem disc" my camera suggests"unable to format", do you want to format? Like most computer discs I am guessing NO WAY do I want to format the disc, won't I loose everything???? This happened to me a couple of times before and after sevral attempts later I was able touse the disc.
I am right about DO NOT REFORMAT that disc - right?
If I do, I could loose anything on that disc - right!
Before I proceed, I will wait for an answer - I CAN"T loose what is on this disc!!!
Thank you all for your input..... This process is great! I appreciate your input!!!!
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:38 AM   #8

Did you check in your recycle bin?

It might be there since the pix were deleted

Good Luck
rony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:46 AM   #9

I will check there right now! Thx.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 12:53 PM   #10

I don`t remember it asking to format when I used the program, I`d say do not format it . I just remember putting the card in the reader and the program read the card and found the deleted pics..
z2me2 is offline   Reply With Quote