Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 18, 2004, 11:51 AM   #1

I have been hearing how some printer's photos last longer and do not fade as quick as others. My question is does this mean if I print photos today on say a Canon i960 that in 10 or 20 years the photos will be completely faded? What about other printers?Will any digital photo last forever? Thank You
deana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:06 PM   #2

I think Canon advertises something like 70 years with Canon ink and paper. But that only applies if you store them in the dark and in non-reactive containers.

If you display them without special UV glass they will start fading in a couple of years in a fairly bright room but without direct sunlight hitting the print. Actually they start fading sooner if you look under the frame and compare it to the part in the light. But it starts looking a little faded in a couple of years for me – that would vary with the light level. I have no experience with UV glass or spray, but I assume the print would last longer.

That doesn't really bother me. It is easy to reprint the image if I want the same shot on the wall again. The hard part is framing and matting. Putting in a new or replacement picture is a snap.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 2:04 PM   #3

Remember it is not only digital(inkjet) that fades, most traditional chemical prints don't make it to 30 years. Fuji Chrystal Archive being one of the few that does last long time, past 60years if processed and displayed correctly)

As mentioned above the Canons prints on Canon paper with Canon inks will last a long time if archivally mounted and sealed under uv glass.

Right now Epson still holds the long life title. with the epson 2000 hitting 200+ years and the 2200/4000 passing 100 years with some papers. Again they must be properly mounted and sealed under glass to make it last that long.

If you kept the original file, it is much easier to just print another copy when the first starts to fade than to worry about long life. :lolUnless you are selling your images :?)

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 3:08 PM   #4

Just my opinion but I don't think anything that comes out of an ink jet printer today will be around 50 years from now - regardless of the ink or paper used. That may change in a few months or years but until proven otherwise, and only time will really tell,I feel that film still rules absolutely. As a family genealogist/historian, if it's important I use 35mm.
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 5:32 PM   #5

Fading is a major issue with inkjet prints and there have been some fairly dramatic improvements over the last couple of years, with Epson starting the ant-fade parade. As was mentioned above, bright light is a killer, but ozone has also become an issue. Things are improving, but nothing is perfect. I have seen some really faded color film snapshots. On the other hand, I have some hundred year old black and white photos that are still nearly perfect.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 5:39 PM   #6

Digital negatives should last indefinitely if guarded properly. Where 35mm negatives can fade, shift color and get scratched over long periods digital images remain perfect. If archived properly and transferred to more current media every few decades people centuries from now should be able to see them as perfectly as the day they were taken.

I fear the vast majority will be lost though.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 6:55 PM   #7

Funny how this is a "digital" concern. It's always been an issue, regardless of medium. As pointed out, if you have cherished photos, the originals (digital orslide or film negatives)need to be safely stored.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 10:29 PM   #8

Sting wrote:
Quote:
Just my opinion but I don't think anything that comes out of an ink jet printer today will be around 50 years from now - regardless of the ink or paper used.
But with several Epson Photo models you can get "pigment" inks which last far longer than standard inkjet inks.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 2:20 AM   #9

35mm (or anychemical based film format)if it is color is not a stable medium, and definitely NOT anywhere near archival. Both slides and negatives fade, some very quickly , and can very easily be damaged by contact scratches, contact skin oils are deadly, heat, hunidity, fungus, and over a period of time the chemicals just breakdown. The majority of prnts made on normal chemical papers have a life expectancy of 10-15years. Pro papers and processing life is around 25years. The one exception is Fuji's crystal archive paper.

Silver based Black and White when archivally processed on fiber papers seems to last forever.

Sting wrote:
Quote:
if it's important I use 35mm.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 12:03 PM   #10

I should have added - strickly a slow speed black and white film printed on exhibition quality, double weight, multigrade, fibre paper - and only for very special photos/documents. As I no longer have my owndarkroom it can becomea costly proposition.
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote