Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:31 AM   #1

I have a DC5000 Kodak camera.

For the last year(don't know how I put up with it so long!), it has taken about 30 seconds for the camera to store the image so I can take the next picture.

I have tried different size memory cards, tried reformatting the card. Put new NiHD batteries in.

Nothing helps.

I even emailed Kodak and asked the same question.....their response was "have you tried reformatting the card?"

Do these cameras have a "buffer" that may not be working correctly?. It never used to do this...

Any help would be appreciated.

Lip~Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:51 AM   #2

Nobody got any ideas???
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:56 AM   #3

Does your camera have the option to change file types, ie. between jpg and tif? If the camera is set to record tif's as oposed to jpg's, that could be the problem.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:42 AM   #4

I've never seen that camera, but I'd be shocked if 30 seconds per picture was correct. I agree with marokero, maybe your not using jpg mode but in tif mode instead. Many cameras take a long time to write tifs (which is why I've always considered that option basically useless.) A quck look at the review that steve did suggests that it only supports jpg (but I could have missed it.) But it could certainly do it if it does.

Another question is what memory card are you using? What speed? A slow card will certainly effect things (but I'd be surprised if it effected things this badly.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 2:16 PM   #5

It does take 30 seconds. I've timed it. Actually, it varies between 25 and 30 seconds.

The first year I had it, it never did this. Maybe a couple of seconds between pictures.

It is in JPG format.

The memory cards are Kodak compact flashfor this camera. It came with an 8mb card. I bought a 32mb and a 64mb. Both Kodak.

It started after I got the 64mb. Although I don't think the card had anything to do with it.

I just took a picture in "best quality" and "high resolution".....31 seconds until the ready light came on. I took the same picture in "good quality" and "standard resolution"(email quality)....15 seconds until the ready light came on.

Makesno difference if the card is reformatted and blank or if it is 3/4 full.

The batteries last for at least 100-150 high quality pictures so I don't think that they are the problem.

Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:02 PM   #6

I'm not saying that you were lieing, I'm saying that it shouldn't be that long.

Since you've tried reformatting the card (which would have been my suggestion, and you did it incamera, right?) have you tried a whole knew card? Borrowing one from someone, maybe? Maybe at the same time they could try their card in your camera?

I'm betting its your camera, but the way to be sure it to rule out the card by showing that it works well in another camera (better yet the same make/model, but that is asking too much.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 11:32 PM   #7

Eric, I didn't take it that way at all.

I have tried different cards and all react the same way.

I had not thought of trying the cards in another camera of the same type.

I do know where there are several, though.

I'll try it and let you know.