Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 22, 2004, 9:33 AM   #1

Hi all!

I'm a noobie to this forum and appreciate your patience in helping me! I'm torn between what camera to purchase and need some knowledgeable feedback from people who know more than I. I've researched for a couple of weeks now on digicams in the price range I can afford for my 1st digital camera ($200-300 range). Here is my question....

I really like the Nikon Coolpix 4300 (about $300 minus $50 rebate currently). I like the design of it, the manual features, the size, the availability for lenses/filters, and the fact that it uses CompactFlash (cost me $40 for 256 mb card).

There are other cameras like the Olympus C-740UZ, the Kodak dX6490, etc. that seem to be in the same approximate price range, and have mostly the same features, with ONE excpetion. The Olympus has an 8x optical zoom, and the Kodak has a 10 optical zoom. My dilemma is I'm not sure if the difference in the optical zoom outweighs the other features that I like on the Nikon CP4300. Of course I realize some of it is personal preference, but I'm looking for some feedback on the other features (and the pros/cons) of the 4300.

Oh, and I do have twosons (age 4 and 1 1/2). I will be using the camera quite often to take action shots of them playing sports, outdoors, etc. That of course makes a big impact on which camera might be the most useful for me. The longer zoom would be nice for taking sports shots from the sidelines. But, is the CP4300 a better overall camera if you dont involve the zoom? I just dont know enough to decide

** EDIT - does an automatic flash vs.a manual popup flash make a huge difference?

Btw, if you can make any suggestions for other cameras out there in the same price range, please do so! I'm looking for something either 3 or 4 MP, and with some manual features. If you can share your knowledge of cameras with me, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks a lot, I'll be awaiting your responses

tenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2004, 3:30 PM   #2

anyone?

(I'm looking to purchase a digicam in the next week or so, any help would be greatly appreciated!) Thanks!!
Old Jun 23, 2004, 7:38 AM   #3

can anybody help me in this matter? I have like 2 days to decide what I want to buy, because there are a couple of rebates on certain cameras and memory cards that run out on 6/24 (which is actually tomorrow, eek!).

Suggestions? Pros/Cons of the cameras I've mentioned...anyone?
Old Jun 23, 2004, 8:04 AM   #4

the nikon coolpix 3700 might be interesting for you.

compact, good quality pictures and good movie mode too...

Good luck!

Ed
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:15 AM   #5

tenstar,

Given your budget, I think you'd be pretty happy with the 4300. I used to own one but upgraded to a Panasonic FZ-10 (12X Zoom, 420mm). I loved the Nikon photo quality but wanted more zoom in one package (didn't want to always be changing lenses). There is an adapter that would allow you to add 28 mm lenses to the 4300 later if you'd like. I didn't thoroughly test other cameras, but did have problems with image shake at high zoom withthe Kodakin the shop. I wentwith the FZ-10 because of its image stabilization.

The 4300 is pretty quick but there will be a shutter delay in all cameras in that price range.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:28 AM   #6

hey SRVSD! Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it, especially coming from a previous owner of a CP4300!

I guess I'm leaning toward the 4300, even though I'm still hesitant because I would really like at least a 6-8X zoom to take pictures of my son playing sports, etc. Oh well, I guess I could go with the 4300 for now, and upgrate later when I have the additional $$ to do so.

Thanks again!!
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:44 AM   #7

Oh, one last question....

Would it be worth the extra $$ to upgrade and buy the Fuji S5000? Here's the prices I can get right now...

Nikon CP4300: $311 - $50 rebate = $261.00 + $40 256mb CF card = $301

Fuji S5000 : $305 + $40 128mb xD card+ $30NiMH batt/charger = $375

Which one is a better value for those prices?? :roll: