Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 16, 2002, 11:26 PM   #11

steves

are you going to build the computer yourself?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 11:31 PM   #12

Default multiprocessor setups

just remember that if you intend to go into SMP that the OS you use must support it and also the particular software package must also support it.

minimum win NT 4.0
pref win2000 (what a difference)
optimum XP Pro

PS 6.0 and above support SMP
Old Sep 17, 2002, 12:08 AM   #13

Intel vs AMD

to understand the differences is to mostly brush aside a substantial amount of marketing BS. they both work well above the current software level today. remember one poorly designed and executed program can gag even the best machine.

533 FSB
266 FSB
these are within the processor and then out it goes to the pci bus. your speed then drops to the crawl(by todays standards) bottleneck.

ram memory access. theres another bottleneck rddram ddram. their speed differs to. translation hubs .

agp 1x 2x 4x 8x another bus to ride on. another speed change.

your processor, northbridge and southbridge chipsets dance a ballet to a tango beat keeping these going together.

you can argue just as much about these components as you can cameras.

here is the new one-Serial ATA. all that flat ribbon being replaced by much smaller round cable and small modular plug. starting at 150 MB xfr burst rate

http://www.serialata.org/

just remember in computing whatever you buy now next month there will be something faster to replace it. there is no sweet spot killer machine.

if your machine is going to be a digital darkroom. you do not need to build one that the lights dim in your house when powering up. look at the side of the PS 7.0 box. look at the minimums for operation. i can build a computer for $600 sans monitor that is 30 times more powerful then their min standards. your MONITOR is where your concentration is needed. they are far from the same. color calibration is next. that is a whole other discussion

if you want we can build a virtual computer here and discuss the pros and cons of each component. see what we come up with within boundries. of course we'll be at each others throats quickly but aaah what the heck.

the other option is each to build a virt machine and price it out.

where did i put that glowing biohazard logo?

[Edited on 9-17-2002 by sjms]
Old Sep 17, 2002, 12:48 AM   #14

Default advantage of XP Pro over XP home edition

Thanks to sjms for the reply.
I'm planning(if the $ comes through) to get a Dell 4500 with a pent.4 1.8Ghz,1 gig ddr sdram, 120 gig hard drive,19"sony crt monitor,XP home edition, dvd/cd burner,epson 2200 photo printer, canon FS4000 US film scanner etc. I have @ 20 years experience in 35mm photography(weddings,nature,family,etc.) However I'm new to digital and am ready to make the jump. Hopefully not off the deep end!
I want to start out with a prosumer camera(minolta dimage 7i probabbly) But I will eventully get a canon DSLR.
What would be the advantage of XP Pro over the home edition in your opinion. I do have aspirations of expanding my photography beyond friends, family, and word of mouth, but currently I do not have a bonafied small business.
I appreciate your opinion as well as others who may have already been down the path I'm about to embark.
Steve Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 12:59 AM   #15

first, i wouldn't grab all that ram from dell. thats where they get you in price.

check out www.crucial.com.

they are a division of micron technology who is the major developer/producer of ddram

prices might be a bit lighter.

i'll get back to you tomorrow it's 2am and time to dream
Old Sep 17, 2002, 10:05 AM   #16

120gig hard drive is one big drive. are you going to partition it?

a drive of that size sounds like a lot of images are going to be stored there. any shots you taken and want to keep should be xfrd to a permanent media. not to be trusted on the HD.

HDs of that size are generally for gamers. where the 3 games i play take up as follows Q3 w/team arena 850MB, rtcw about 600MB and tres lunas about 100MB.
an 80GB would be more than adequate partitioned off into 3-4 virtuals at 18-20gig a piece. reason- filing cabinet theory and safety. OS and utilities on boot partition the other data on succesive drives. mine is set up as follows-
C:\ boot drive
D:\ office
E:\ darkroom studio
F:\ Image depository and inprogress work
G:\ misc drive games and crap i gotta play with
H:\ cdrom
I:\ burner
J:\ cf reader/writer

should i scramble the os or c drive none of the others are affected. i reload the os or if ther are bigger issues delete the boot partition reinstall it reload the os either clean or by disk image without touching any work in progress. reinstalling clean will incur the penalty of reloading the programs but again any work not on the C:\ drive is unscathed.
versatility is the prize.

also it will run a teeney bit faster due to the path statements are directing to smaller drives to search. search 1 big 120gig takes a little time

Old Sep 17, 2002, 10:18 AM   #17

the scanner- just opinion here. i'd save my money a little longer and shoot for the nikon coolscan 4000ED. thats only if your really got a lot of slides and are looking for the nearest thing to drum scanner quality. its in the $1500 range and is firewire ported(comes with the card which has 2 i/o and turns out to be very useful).
speed is not the strong point of any film scanner. since your getting a 2200 (so am i. its on order) and it has multi i/o you've got more options.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 10:20 AM   #18
NHL

smjs

You can put 'that glowing biohazard logo' here...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&LYRISID=80215

While we're @ it:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?sku=A453-1034

[Edited on 9-17-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 10:32 AM   #19

we can overclock it to 500 ghz and watch it glow from sea to shining sea.
or watch the powergrid go down like in '65

you know i was just about to get one of the tricolor fans like that.

Old Sep 19, 2002, 7:23 AM   #20
NHL

Default BIG Brother is coming!

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...alladiumwp.asp

I know you would, I'll wait for one that changes colors on the fly (ie like the one from Chiasso)

[Edited on 9-19-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote