Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 25, 2004, 4:09 PM   #1

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a new digicam, and now I have a problem.

I want a better cam that I have now (4 MP, 3x optical zoom)
What do I need to go for? more megapixel or more zoom with lower megapixel?

I like the Olimpus C-770 and the 765, but it has a "low" (4)MP (but a kick @ss zoom!)
An other option would be to go for higher (6MP and up)

I like to make pictures of old city buildings, and3 times zoom just ain't enough to catch those nice detailes. I have no problems with edditing the pictures later on, but with 4 megapixels, it'sjust not enough.

Should I go for a 10x zoom with 4 megapixel or for a 3xzoom with 6 megapixel?
(I won't be using a stand for the camera, and I'll also will use if for snapshots in the family)
Besides this I also like to make short movies of my kids, so that surely puts the Olimpus in favour.

So the question actualy is, why should I buy a 6 or 8 MP camera? Zoom or MP....... It's killing me!
fhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2004, 5:21 PM   #2
NHL

There's actually two answers to this question:

1. If you want the higher magnification then the higher zoom is better than the higher megapixels... the zoom increase is linear whereas the Mp is by the square.

2. If you do a print however of the same magnified picture, the higher megapixels will get you a larger print.

Which one do you want? If you never enlarge beyond 8x10 for example then go for (1)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:01 PM   #3

http://www.digicamhistory.com/Figure%20of%20Merit.html

This site told me just about what I needed to know......
so.. 5x zoom with 8 MP or 10 times zoom with 4MP...???

Oh well I guess the C770 is the best choise, as it also can make great mpeg movies.
I don't think I'll use the 10 time zoom a lot, but 5 to 7 will be frequently used.

besides, 8 MP takes up a MEGA amound of memory! (21 pictures on a 512 card)

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:28 PM   #4

Actually, your size calculation isn't correct. The size of a jpg is dependent on the type of picture. Some compress better than others. But it isn't surprising to get 50% compress (you'll probably get more. I get more than that on average with my 10D.)

So that means about 4MB per picture. So on a 512MB card, you'll get over 100 pictures per 512MB CF card. Way more than you suggested.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 2:49 AM   #5

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Actually, your size calculation isn't correct. The size of a jpg is dependent on the type of picture.
True, you are right.... but:

If you take a picture at 8MP to be able to do some serious croping and editing, you don't want to use compression (RAW). (to prevent quality loss)
If youwould zoom (6 or 7 times) with 4MP there is no need for croping so you could use compression. (but with to much zoom it might be blurry depending on de steadiness of the hand)

For me it would not be a fair comparishing to set the number of pics one with and one without compression.

With compression it would be 130 for the 8MP and 185 for the 4 MP
(and this is strange, as a 8MP pick is allmost double the size of a 4MP....)
Old Jun 26, 2004, 2:51 PM   #6

Hi All, just to inform you I just bought a C-770 !

It's a great cam, and it's giving me great pictures and movi files.
I'm most impressed by it's stabelising feature with zoom. If I use 10 time zoom, most of the pictures are 100% sharp.
Only when I use Superzoom (I read in one other forum that this is up to 14x) I need to use the tripod.

This superzoom thing does confuse me. One sales guy in a shop told me that it is impossible to get a 14x zoom with this lens. (6.3 – 63mm (equivalent to 38 – 380mm lens in 35mm format)) but, it is giving me the 14x zoom :lol:.

The camera is about 100 euro more expensive then the C-765, but what you get is a double flash, a 14x zoom, 128 MB XD, and a great MPEG movi option. For me worth every dime.

Thanks allfor the feedback!

Frank
Old Jun 30, 2004, 8:56 AM   #7

You might be using digital zoom on top of your optical zoom. Digital zoom is a cheap gimmick that crops your photos in camera, and enlarging them. This always results in poor picture performance.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Often, cameras will use the optical zoom, then on top of that, will seamlessly go into digital zoom to give you that farther reach if you keep zooming.

Personally, digital zoom is something I would love to see off a camera. Luckily, you can turn it off on most models.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:06 PM   #8

if you want to enlarge beyond 8X10 you do have the option of using digital image software enlargers. i have used one photo enlargement program with great success called imagener. you can find it here: http://www.imagener.com. hope this helps! -dh
donhdefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:51 PM   #9

The "X" factor is meaningless. It's merely a ratio of the minimum vs the maximum reach of a lens. For example, a 37mm to 370mm range is a 10X lens, but so is a 20mm-200mm lens.

Most point and shoot cameras have very poor wide angle capability because of the small sensors in those cameras.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:15 PM   #10

fhorst wrote:
Quote:
I'm most impressed by it's stabelising feature with zoom. If I use 10 time zoom, most of the pictures are 100% sharp. Only when I use Superzoom (I read in one other forum that this is up to 14x) I need to use the tripod.
Im no expert, but the Olympus C770 does not have a stabiliser, I just checked out the review on of it on this site. You may be a little confused.

I have the Panasonic FZ10, 4MP and 420 mm equiv (12x). Its great, MP's are overrated, lens and sensor size are more important.
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote