Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 26, 2004, 10:03 AM   #1

Hi,

I am looking for a digital SLR camera with the following specifications:

-Minimum 6 M pixel raw format

-Remote controlled from the pc via USB2 or firewire

-Pictures taken remote from the pc must be available for further processing on the pc within 1-2 sec.

Any suggestions for a camera with these specifications?

HangLoose
HangLoose66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2004, 11:20 AM   #2

If your 1-2 second requirement is really that strict, then I bet firewire is your only choice.

The problem is that there are very few cameras with a firewire port. You have to step up to the pro level DSLRs, I bet. At least they are the only ones that I know.

Not many cameras have built in USB2, but there might be a few. I don't know which, though.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 12:03 PM   #3

:cart::-DWHAT YOU CAN DO IS BUY A MEMORY CARD READER WITH A FIREWIRE OR USB CONNECTION. AND PURCHASE A FAST MEMORY CARD FOR YOUR CAMERA.

THIS WAY YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY A HIGH END DSLR.
digital demon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 12:49 PM   #4

I'm afraid that this solution does not give me the remote functionallity?
Old Jun 26, 2004, 11:53 PM   #5

D2h - wirelessly transfers your pictures immediately after shooting to a nearly wireless capable PC/laptop. Once you've seen a demo, you'll want one too.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 5:32 AM   #6

I have searched the web and found a combination of Olympus 8080 Zoom with Olympus Software Developer Kit (SDK).

The SDK Gold can capture images from the camera via the USB2 connection.

The question is now speed.

Is it possible to capture a 8M pixel picture and save it in ram on the pc with the SDK sw within 1-2 sec?
Old Jun 27, 2004, 9:44 AM   #7

Many cameras have the ability to remotely control the camera, but as I was trying to say, it's the 1-2 second download requirement that is the problem.

A 6MP image in 1-2 seconds is fairly fast. My 6MP camera (Canon 10D) has USB1, so it's not going to work. But the RAW images for that camera are roughly 5.5MB (Canon's RAW format is compressed.) So you want between 20-40M-bit per second. And that doesn't include the time to write the data to disk (if it does that) or interperate the RAW image format into something that can be displayed.

It's possible, but you are asking a lot. I would think your minimum requirement is USB2 or FireWire on the camera, but I bet FireWire would have a better chance of working.

Wireless might work, its an interesting idea. I only know of one camera (the D2h that was listed earlier) that can do it. It's an optional add-on. Again, it would have to send the data rather fast for it to work.

Eric

Old Jun 27, 2004, 12:19 PM   #8

The USB2 standard has a speed of max 480 Mbit/s, so 20-40 Mbit does not sound as a problem.

But the question is the real speed for data transfer from ex. the Olympus 8080 which has USB2.

Does someone have an idea of this?

For test purpose, You can use the sw on this page: http://www.sabsik.com/Cam2Com/

HangLoose
Old Jun 27, 2004, 10:02 PM   #9

Why do people always say that?

I'm sorry, but just because the USB2 bus can transmit data that fast doesn't mean the camera can. Quoting the spec like that adds nothing to the discussion. (Sorry, but I'm so sick of how people throw that number around like it means something. Unless you are doing professional video editing, and then you'd use FireWire, no one will ever saturate the USB2 data bus. So it doesn't matter what the maximum theoretical throughput in laboratory conditions is.)

USB2 is very inefficient compared to FireWire. Also, any camera with FireWire by its very nature is designed for a different class of buyer. One that cares about speed. I can almost guaranty you that any camera with FireWire will send data faster than any camera with USB2. Because any company that puts the effort to put FireWire into the camera will also put the effort into making it fast and efficient.

Then we get into the burst data rate of USB2. I don't know what it is, but I bet it isn't very high. You want to send data very quickly, so that will matter.

There is an olympus area of this forum, you might ask there if anyone has ever tried it with that camera. It might be able to do what you want, and that would seem the best way to find out. It would certainly be cheaper than doing what I suggest (any camera with firewire will certainly be expensive.)

Eric
Old Jun 28, 2004, 3:45 PM   #10

Canon EOS-1Ds Digital Camera hasfirewire transfer mode. class=s1
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote