Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 16, 2002, 8:34 PM   #1

Default Need help finding "Mr. Right"!

I would like to purchase a digicam, and although I have a basic idea of what I want, there are so many options out there I'm having a hard time knowing what I should get. I had been wanting to get a 35mm camera, but with technology advancing so quickly I wonder if I can't have the best of both worlds with the 35mm quality and the convenience of the digital?

Here's a run down of what I want:

* At least 3 (preferably more) mpx.
* A good optical zoom.
* My main use for the camera would be portrait photography, and some nature scenes.
* Closeups are important to me, and I want a clear precise image.
* I have 4 children, so I would like to be able to have something that is fast and somewhat easy to use.
* I would like to get into semi pro photography, & so would like to get something that I could play around with a little more seriously, but not too complicated for pro use only.
* price range: around $500-1000+

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks!

Erica

[Edited on 9-17-2002 by Erica]

Erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2002, 8:51 PM   #2

You can't go wrong with a Coolpix, either the 995, the 4700, or, if you spend the extra $$$, the 5700. All have excellent macro capabilities, the zoom range will please you, and the quality is excellent.

For a little bit of money more, the Oly E-20, a 5mp camera, gives stunning results. Also the Dimage 7i by Minolta.

[Edited on 9-17-2002 by WalterK]
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 8:55 PM   #3

Default First Camera

I own the Olympus C4040Z which has the ability to point and shoot. It also has the bells and whistles to allow more hands on photography. It has a great low light lens at F1.8. Read Steves reviews more detailed information. Steves conclusion is that he would not hesitate to recommend this camera. It is a 4 mega pixel with sound and movie modes. Cost is $599 at Circuit City or even less if you purchase over the internet.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 8:58 PM   #4

Look at the dimage 7i and the new one D7Hi. I think it will fit what you are looking for.
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 1:06 PM   #5

Default Thanks

Thanks for your insight and help. I am leaning towards the Dimage 7i, although I am interested in the Dimage 7Hi -- is it worth waiting for?
Erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 1:19 PM   #6
NHL

It's a matter of preference...

Do you like black over silver? or are you going to shoot in raw on high speed, otherwise the D7i is much cheaper than the D7Hi initially!

[Edited on 9-20-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 3:14 PM   #7

Default Minolta DiMage 7i

I've had a DiMage 7i for a few months - I love it - my second digital camera and a dream to use. 28-200mm equiv zoom is great and picture quality is fantastic.

Can't find anything that I'd like it to do that it doesn't, although I guess one day I'll grow out of a camera which can't accept different lenses.... but then I'm going to need to spend two or three times what I did for the 7i so will live with what I have for some time to come.

Highly recommended
edmontonn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 9:34 PM   #8

Well you do not have to wait it is already out and many already have it. the lowest i have seen is like 1148.00 no shipping or taxes. for the 7Hi that is. You can get the 7i for like 760.00 plus shipping 25.00 more so it is around 360.00 more for the 7Hi. I have seen the 7Hi for 999.00 but it is a scam.
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:22 AM   #9

I agree that your major choices should be the Cpix5700 vs the D7i. I would base the decision on personal handling of the two machines ... esp outdoors!

The Cpix has some real advantages ... the fold out screen is very useful (more than the tilting finder) for framing at different camera angles. The longer zoom is significant, esp for portraiture 9although marginally so). Some find the more comapct size of the CP easier to handle than the D7i.

The D7i also has advantges ... at a pro level, the focussing ring rather tha buttons is very nice and the battery setup is a lot better than the Cpix.

Frankly, I suspect the rpice may eb a mjor diff. I do not think you can buy a Cpix for much less that $1000 and prob more like $1100/
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2002, 6:23 AM   #10
NHL

Default ... Other advantages of the D7i:

- The real-time histogram in the D7i is also a BIG bonus outdoor (as well as grid and scale in the EVF), especially when use with a polarizer and contrast control!
- The external TTL flash is also more integrated (ie the zoom move with the lens). There's also the wireless multi-unit flashes option... and you can use the built-in flash to trigger studio strobes at various level (it can be turn off an does not pre-flash either)
- For the $360 extra of the 7hi, a PC terminal is added, and this camera can keep up with the fastest dSLR with 5 raw pictures @ 3fps!

Other advantages of the 5700:

- 3:2 mode, storage efficiency (those extra pixels get cropped anyway)
- BSS useful for low-light!

[Edited on 9-26-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote