Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 29, 2004, 8:52 PM   #11

If you can afford it, Go for it.
Think about all those shooting opportunities you'll miss if you don't purchase a Digicam now. You find you will take a lot more images with a digicam because you don't have to worry about development costs and you can play with the settings and get instant results.You can seeif your getting the quaility of shot you want. My first Digicam was a Kodak 2.0 MP. I still use it occationally and it does a good job at up to 8x10 shots if you don't crop them a lot.

A friend was showing me his Nikon D70 the other day and it is impressive. The shots he has taken with the camera are awsome.

I think the DSLR rival the film cameras and have so many advantages it makes them well worth changing.

I don't own a DSLR but a Fuji S7000 because that is what I could afford and I don't personnally need a DSLR. I have many 8x10 hanging on my walls and I get a lot of complements on the images. I wouldn't worry to much what the latest and greatest next camera will be.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:41 PM   #12

VC

You win grand prize. Your point of the $1,000 paperweight really is my chief concern. Using my 101 as an example. It was over 15 years old when it needed repairs. But it could be repaired. I have to admit - when the built-in light meter goes - it can't be replaced (no parts). So it does happen to film cameras too. I just want it to be more than a few years.

Regarding that - does anyone know Nikon's and other Mfgr's support practices? I don't mind paying $1,200 for a camera I know I can use a long, long time -- I do mind paying $1,200 for (as VC says) a paperweight.
RonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:18 PM   #13

RonE wrote:
Quote:
VC

You win grand prize. Your point of the $1,000 paperweight really is my chief concern. Using my 101 as an example. It was over 15 years old when it needed repairs. But it could be repaired. I have to admit - when the built-in light meter goes - it can't be replaced (no parts). So it does happen to film cameras too. I just want it to be more than a few years.

Regarding that - does anyone know Nikon's and other Mfgr's support practices? I don't mind paying $1,200 for a camera I know I can use a long, long time -- I do mind paying $1,200 for (as VC says) a paperweight.
Ok, so if I'm understanding you correctly, you want the best digital camera thatis builtlike a tank & will have a long life due to easy access to parts & repair-ability. That's like looking at a Nikon FE & deciding if it's a better buy in the long run than a FH3...could you predict that then as you would like some of us to now?
Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:55 PM   #14

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
Ok, so if I'm understanding you correctly, you want the best digital camera thatis builtlike a tank & will have a long life due to easy access to parts & repair-ability. That's like looking at a Nikon FE & deciding if it's a better buy in the long run than a FH3...could you predict that then as you would like some of us to now?
Predict the future? Come on now -- I know you're a pro and I recognize what you consider most important is not what I may. BUTTHAT IS NOT WHATI'M ASKING!

Best buy in the long run - Do you investigate automobiles before you plunk down thousands? If you need a new piece of photographic equipment for your business - Do you just go buy without investigating? That's precisely what I am doing in trying to find the best camera for me (a non-pro) - in the long run. If it wasn't that my oldtired eyes have trouble getting a good focus in my 101 I wouldn't be interested in buying a new camera.

I expect my cars to be reliable - why? I research the cars, I look at the reliabililty ratings and I test drive. I do that with any major purchase and I'm seldom disappointed with the results of my decision based on my research! That's what I'm trying to do here.

Is the D70 the best for ME? That's what I'm trying to found out. I can't and won't ask you or anybody else for that decision. It's completely my choice. When I ask if anybody knows the support that Nikon has provided in the past - that's because the past is usually an indicator for the future.

Finally, ABSOLUTELY, I would prefernot to have a $1,300 paperweight in a few years.

Old Jun 30, 2004, 6:24 PM   #15

RonE

Buy a camera that meets your needs today, has a good rating
in the reviews and the user polls, AND uses a reliable base
lens type. That means either a Canon or Nikon lens system,
which one is religion and preference not fact based.
Which lens should be fact based, which type is ... you get it.

I have spent 10K in the last year on equipment, 2/3's on
camera and lenses. Camera is Fuji S2, lenses are Nikon.

Do I believe that Fuji will be supported for 10 years...
Probably. But I KNOW the lenses will be! and they are 3/4
of the expense...

Do I think the D70 is right for you? good question, but you
have to answer that. All I know is I'm looking at one as my
backup for the S2. Would I replace the S2 with it... nope.

Greg

Watchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 8:28 PM   #16

Sometime down the road (I mean really really down the road) film will no longer be manufactured. What then of all film cameras? Even those in absolutely top shape? Nothing lasts forever, enjoy what you can, when and while you can :| Perhaps I should start stock pilling lot's of b&w and velvia film now :lol: I hope that I get to enjoy my F100 for many many more years to come, and perhaps pass it down to my kids someday.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 9:12 PM   #17

Just to let you know - finally made the plunge. Rather than the D70, I went with the Rebel. For myself - I would have purchased the Nikon. But the Rebel was the best compromise for my wife and I.

Thank you for you comments -- they were ALL very helpful.

Old Jul 5, 2004, 2:02 AM   #18

Isn't there a law in the US that requires a company to supply parts for something for at least seven years (I remember hearing something about it).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 8:01 AM   #19

RonE wrote:
Quote:
Just to let you know - finally made the plunge.
Rather than the D70, I went with the Rebel.
For myself - I would have purchased the Nikon.
But the Rebel was the best compromise for my wife and I.
Congratulations, you made the right choice (not that the D70 was the wrong choice),
you picked the one that fit your needs as you saw them.
Welcome to DSLR land !! :P Now you can argue religion like the rest of us....

Next recommendation is SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT, try everything !

Have fun,
Greg
Watchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 2:47 PM   #20

If there is such a law here, I've love to know what it is. I've run into companies that don't support their products or parts for them sooner than 7 years. There SHOULD be a law, anyway... more like ten years, depending on the item.

I personally think it'll be easier to get DSLRs worked on in the future as many of their parts are recycled into newer models. The only major thing is the sensor that would be upgraded. Consumer models rely more on electronics, and I would guess it will be the consumer level models that will be harder to get repairs on later down the road.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote