Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:45 PM   #1

Hi, I'm new here.. Anyway I'm thinking of getting a digital compact camera. At the moment, I've the Powershot S1 IS (too big to carry around) and I enjoy taking photos wherever I go, so looking for a mid range compact camera.

4.0 Megapixel with some manual functions to play around. Nikon Coolpix 4200 looks pretty good but.. just too many to pick... Suggestions? (Note - No SONY, please)....

justjerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:52 PM   #2

justjerm wrote:
Quote:
4.0 Megapixel with some manual functions to play around. Nikon Coolpix 4200 looks pretty good but.. just too many to pick... Suggestions? (Note - No SONY, please)....
My suggestion is a Minolta G400.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 1:17 AM   #3

The Coolpix 4200 looks like a really good choice. The only things that I don't like are the proprietary batteries and the price. Sorry I don't have a real suggestion.

BTW, let me know if you want to get rid of your s1 is.
jschaefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 4:09 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestion.. Will take into consideration, other recommendations are also Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC 70 and Pentax Optio S4i ....

Too many choices, would have gone for Canon Ixus (Big Canon fan) but too expensive for a 2nd camera. And definitely not selling my S1.. Love the camera...
Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:18 AM   #5

Strange request...

Of course, Sony DSC-W1 !!!
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 12:23 PM   #6

If you are eliminating Sony because of the proprietary memory you should also exclude Fuji and Olympus because of the equally proprietary and pricey xD. All of their small cameras use xD and it isn't likely to ever be used in anything but Oly and Fuji.

Canon makes some reasonably small cameras with CF, but for the most part you will be considering SD. SD has become the standard small memory card, not only for cameras but for other devices like PDAs.

I wouldn't personally limit my choice based on memory cards unless I had some spare SD cards lying around. The Canon S410 will share the CF cards with your S1.

The Minolta G500 is reasonably priced and very competent. I find the G400 flash range to be too limiting, but the G500 is acceptable.

The Pentax S4/S4i is extremely compact and competent. It has manual focus but no manual exposure mode – a big drawback IMO. I have a S4 for the size but really wish they had included manual exposure rather than all the useless gee-whiz scene modes. Other than that one shortcoming it has been a very nice camera.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 1:40 AM   #7

How about the Canon A80? You can get it for around US $ 270 shipped now. Check it out at www.bizrate.com. Bought one online last week, and am I satisfied!!! One heck of a good camera!!!

But before you get more confused by our suggestions, why don't you check out the sample pics here in Steve's camera reviews ( Download the full size image of the red brick building, and do an a/b/c etc. comparison of the various camera models ) and go to www.pbase.com, check out the photos in real world conditions; it would make your decision a lot easier.
oikos888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 11:02 PM   #8

slipe wrote:
Quote:

If you are eliminating Sony because of the proprietary memory you should also exclude Fuji and Olympus because of the equally proprietary and pricey xD. All of their small cameras use xD and it isn't likely to ever be used in anything but Oly and Fuji.

Canon makes some reasonably small cameras with CF, but for the most part you will be considering SD. SD has become the standard small memory card, not only for cameras but for other devices like PDAs.

I wouldn't personally limit my choice based on memory cards unless I had some spare SD cards lying around. The Canon S410 will share the CF cards with your S1.

The Minolta G500 is reasonably priced and very competent. I find the G400 flash range to be too limiting, but the G500 is acceptable.
Well proprietary memory is important but did not really take that into consideration. Main consideration is the quality of the pictures,functions (preset and manual) and compact. But the Minolta rangea pretty goodcamera but I'm also considering the price because this is a 2nd camera and I don't want to get such an expensive one.

So, I will balanced it out with price and with the above specifications.. so taking into account all that..I think the 3 best options will be the Nikon Coolpix 4100/4200, Minolta G400 and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC 70.

Won't go for Sony, some friends have Sony and durability has been an issue.. Pentax camera, like you said.. does not really have manual functions and some other minor issues..
Old Jul 4, 2004, 11:03 PM   #9

oikos888 wrote:
Quote:
How about the Canon A80? You can get it for around US $ 270 shipped now. Check it out at http://www.bizrate.com. Bought one online last week, and am I satisfied!!! One heck of a good camera!!!

But before you get more confused by our suggestions, why don't you check out the sample pics here in Steve's camera reviews ( Download the full size image of the red brick building, and do an a/b/c etc. comparison of the various camera models ) and go to http://www.pbase.com, check out the photos in real world conditions; it would make your decision a lot easier.
Thanks for the link.. Will check it out but, reasons why I will not go for the Canon Powershot "A" series.. too big and A80 is out of my price range..
Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:01 AM   #10

You'd probably want to get a camera phone. If you're saying S1 is too big to carry around (it's a teeny, tiny sub-sub-compact camera as far as I'm concerned!) you'd be surprised at the images coming out of the latest 2MP-capable phones.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote