Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:19 AM   #1

This is my first post on this forum - too bad its purpose is to ask for help!

My girlfriend gave me a Kodak CX6330 Digital Camera this past Christmas. Unfortunatly, I broke the rear cover and LCD screen. The cover is cracked (transparent plastic covering the LCD), as well as the LCD. The camera still functions properly, but it is a pain changing setting without the LCD as I now have to hook the camera to my television.

Kodak can replace the LCD, but the cost is almost that of a new camera! What options do I have? I'm constantly looking on EBay for something similar for sale - but have had no luck to date. What other Kodak models use the same LCD as the CX6330 I wonder?

If anyone can provide any insight, or direct me somewhere where I may explore some options, it would be greatly appreciated!!
KodakFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2004, 2:01 PM   #2

Nobody knows where to get parts?
KodakFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 2:31 PM   #3

You can buy a new 6330 for a little more than $100.

I suggest you do that then sell your old one for parts on Ebay.

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 2:05 AM   #4

KodakFan wrote:
Quote:
Nobody knows where to get parts?
Just to answer this, you can't...parts come from Kodak, and Kodak doesn't sell them to end users...most manufacturers are like that.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 3:55 PM   #5

You've just been exposed to one nastly little secret of the digital camera world which some are not aware of... repair costs.

It's common for most makers to charge almost as much for repairs as a new camera would cost - especially on LCD or lens damages. Your options at this point are few. Simply buy a new camera. There MIGHT be a local camera shop that repairs them cheaper, but it's rare to find those around. Wouldn't hurt to look I guess. Selling your broken camera on Ebay isn't a bad idea, either. I've sold broken models and have made a fair amount on them from buyers or repair folks who really need one for the parts.

As a note for your future purchases - check your insurance agency (renters or home owners) and ask about a "floating" policy just for a camera. Might be overkill on a consumer model like this, but many times you can get it insured for only a couple of bucks per year. Mine covers my 10D for $2.50 a month, and it includes my dropping it, it being ripped off, water damage, etc etc... everything except maker's defects (in which case a store's extended warranty would cover that).

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote