Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:10 AM   #1

Hello all,

I would like to buy a sub $200 camera for a relative.

I know that for $200 you cannot get a truly"excellent" camera - but I cannot spend more at this time, so I am looking for the best compromise for a beginner.

The only thing I want for sure is a (non digital) Zoom. I do not need any manual adjustment capabilities - but I do need the best possible (automatic) picture quality. 2 mpixels are also enough.

I have found various units ( Coolpix 2200, Minolta E223 or E323, HP 635, Olympus D540, Fuji A205etc.) in this price range.

What would you recommend to get?

Thank you,

Miklos
Miklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2004, 1:01 AM   #2

A gift certificate...it's never a good idea to buy someone else a camera because it might not be right for their hands, or their ability (either too difficult or too simple to use).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 8:51 AM   #3

Thanks for the idea. A gift certificate could have worked - but my relative is from Europe, and she wanted to benefit from the (much) lower Canadian prices. (and also, I do not think that Canadian gift certificates would work in Europe).

I ended up buying her a Coolpix 2200 for CAN$ 259.- - and she (we) already tookover hundred pictures with it. The camera is not the same as my Coolpix 950 - but the pictures are still pretty good. And the many scene modes are perfect for somebody who has no clue about what F stops or exposure times are (and who does and will not want to learn this in the future either...).

Gettinga Nikoncharger and a high capacity (2200 mAh) Coolpix battery set wasan added bonus...

Miklos
Miklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:00 PM   #4

Understandable...the only thing is your relative might not have warranty where they live...most companies only have local warranties (a camera bought in Canada may only have warranty in North America).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote