Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 1, 2004, 3:49 PM   #1

I don't know how long this monitor will last. It has started to flash on and off.
So, I guess I am looking for a new monitor. I would prefer an lcd, but understand that they do not correctly reproduce colors, and I will be working with photo software.
What are you people using? Can I use an lcd or is there something else out there now. Is a traditional monitor still the way to go when editing photos? I don't try to keep up with all the 'puter stuff, so a little help will be greetly appreciated.

Thanx,

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:41 PM   #2

How much do you care about it displaying the best color? Truly, how much do you really care?

Many monitors are good, but some are certainly better than others but cost more. If you said "I really care about image quality and color representation. I don't want to spend thousands of dollars, but I'm willing to spend a 'reasonable' amount for what I would get in return" then I would suggest a LaCie monitor. Their prices are surprisingly reasonable for a good quality very profilable picture tube. They have all the controls you could want to get good picture quality... heck, that is the market they sell to! Graphic artists, photo editors... sound like it fits you to some extent.

If you said "I want something good, but I only do some picture editing. I'm not a perfectionist, but I don't want to get something that will get in my way." Then there are many more choices. ViewSonic makes good monitors. Mitsubishi has the same tube as the LaCie (but LaCie has other points which make them slightly better I'm told) I'm using a panasonic monitor which is old but serves me well.

lcd displays are getting better, but they are not there yet. To get one that was even close you'd have to spend a lot of money... thousands. A 21" LaCie is between $600-700. For me, that makes the lcd hard to swallow.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 12:01 AM   #3

personaly, if i wanted true colors and a sharp display, i would stick with crt

HOWEVER: there aresome VERY good lcd monitors, such as apple lcd displays
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 1:11 AM   #4

I am with Eric I cant and wont swallow LCD pricing, I am going to get 2 new monitors(CRT's) while not perfect you can get 2 - 19" viewsonics that are reasonable and of good quality for $800, and with DVI ports on most sub $150 graphic card running dual screens isnt a big deal anymore with high resultion until hardcore gaming, hardcore picture/video editing, rendering comes into play.

For LCD's they are great for text, because the pixels are squares but at lower resultions pictures have squarish features, that why some of my friends run a lcd and crt screen.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 1:17 AM   #5

I can't stand Trinitron/Aperture Grille monitors, but I found a nice 19" Samsung SyncMaster 957MB last year...at the time it was the top reviewed monitor beating out all the popular Trinitrons.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 2:49 PM   #6

The question with all reviews is what criteria did they review it by? Most monitor reviews are not made for photographers/digital artists in mind. They are for business users. Their needs are different.

So while Samsung might make good monitors, what are they good at is the question. Do they have all the controls that a graphic artist needs? How well does it represent colors? These are the things that most reviews don't ask.

Trinitron tubes seem to have a love/hate thing going. I know some people who absolute hate them, and some who think they are great. I'm in the minority and don't care. I wouldn't suggest that you write them off, but I would suggest that you look one before you consider buying.

Eric
Old Jul 6, 2004, 2:09 AM   #7

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Trinitron tubes seem to have a love/hate thing going. I know some people who absolute hate them, and some who think they are great. I'm in the minority and don't care. I wouldn't suggest that you write them off, but I would suggest that you look one before you consider buying.
I personally hate Trinitrons due to the 2-3 black horizontal wires that are visible in the picture...many people claim not to see them, but I see them in EVERY Trinitron I've ever used, they drive me up the wall to the point I want to smash the monitor.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 7:11 AM   #8

I believe its 2 guide lines (breaking the monitor into three equal regions.) But I can't look it up at home 'cause I don't have one here (I do at work.) The guide lines are the reason that are always given. Do you know that they actually have two advantages? One is that they only have one color gun. This makes misallignment between the guns impossible. Second is that they are lighter (less internals.)

Of course, if it bugs you, these things don't matter. But I thought I should mention them for others.

Eric