Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 3, 2004, 1:35 PM   #1

My budget is around £200 - £250 , i own a fuji s3000 which is useless for aviation , does anyone else use the konica-minolta dimage z2for aviation pics especially fast jets .
zelug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2004, 6:30 PM   #2

zelug wrote:
Quote:
My budget is around £200 - £250 , i own a fuji s3000 which is useless for aviation , does anyone else use the konica-minolta dimage z2for aviation pics especially fast jets .
Why is it "useless for aviation"? The camera has a fast lens (2.8) and semi-manual mode, including an EV compensation.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 10:50 AM   #3

hi , the autofocus is terrible and without a manual option theres no choice butto use it, when trying totake a photo of a fast jet it will try to lock focus then as im trying to follow the subject it will lose its lock then i have to press it halfway again and try to lock focus again most of the time its locks on a cloud , then if its lucky enough to lock on the subject , because of the poor shutter lag you end up missing the subject anyway , unless if you double guess where it will be by the time the camera takes the pic . quite hard to do , its not just fast jets even bi-planes it struggled with , for me its been a total waste of money , got better results with my old finepix 1400zoom , come on am i my own here with this opinion, on the plus side its great for static shots !

:?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 1:47 AM   #4

You really need a fast dSLR, like the Olympus E-1 (I know some people who went to the F-1 race in Montreal with E-1's and got great shots).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 2:05 AM   #5

im coming to that conclusion myself , the more im reading up on cameras , its just the amount they cost , i suppose you get what you pay for , but ithink ill have to settle for a cheaper ultrazoom at the present . :arrow::-)
Old Jul 5, 2004, 5:28 AM   #6

I use a Z1 for aviation shots. Some of the shots were good enough to get published on www.airliners.net

Although I havn't tried any shots of fast jets yet, I believe the camera would cope well due to the short shutter lag and 10shots/sec mode.

Hope this helps,

Steve:|
stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 5:57 AM   #7

hi steve , thanks for that it does help heres some of my pics .

http://toe-curran.fotopic.net/

:-):-)
Old Jul 5, 2004, 9:46 AM   #8
VC

I visited the National Aviation museum on the weekend to photograph consturction of a new hanger, and photographed some aircraft flying around the airport while I was there. All were small planes (no jets), but as they were relatively close and moving fast it still proved interesting. With manual focus, I was able to get clear shots handheld even at maximum zoom (420mm) on my Panasonic FZ10. You'd have to try for yourself though to see if it suits your needs - a digital SLR is probably ideal for what you're doing, but if that's too pricey check out the Panasonic.

VC
VC is offline   Reply With Quote