Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 3, 2004, 11:28 PM   #1

I just lost my coolpix 995 (stolen:angry. Loved the swivel but hated the weakly flash. Boughted 3 years ago , pressed against a wall by my wife, who wanted top manual features. I loved the camera, but we used manual mode max 3 times. I am too lazy to study a manual and set things up just to make a pic of a crying infant. So this time the bottom line is a very good point and shoot camera 3 to 5 mpix and the best built-in flash possible. Beyond that I'm flexible (swivel lcd would be nice though). Any suggestions ?

darwinobambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2004, 6:36 AM   #2

I just purchased a Sony W-1 and like the built in flash since it has three levels you can adjust and also has a low cost aux ilary flash available. The camera uses nicad batteries as well.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 6:36 AM   #3

I just purchased a Sony W-1 and like the built in flash since it has three levels you can adjust and also has a low cost aux ilary flash available. The camera uses nicad batteries as well.
Old Jul 4, 2004, 8:40 AM   #4

Look for features and then crosscheck the flash. Steve's reviews usually has the flash distance on the first page. That distance appears to be the manufacturer's rated distance. Some are more honest than others. If it doesn't mention an ISO for the flash you can assume it is at least ISO 200. A flash rated at 10 feet at ISO100 is considerably stronger than one rated at 12 feet in auto or with no parameters given.

All decent cameras anymore have a flash intensity adjustment, and most are incremental rather than just 3 settings.

If your primary consideration is flash intensity look at the Fuji S7000. It has a flash stronger than many external units. The S5000 isn't bad either.

I would start with these lists, decide what you want in features and then crosscheck the flash capability. Keep in mind that a camera rated at 10 feet at ISO 100 is about equal to a camera rated at 15 feet without the ISO listed.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 10:31 AM   #5

What do you actually mean by the "best flash"?

Longest range, widest spread, most accurate exposure? All these things?

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 1:45 AM   #6

Most internal flashes are tiny and only good for 10-18 feet. You really need an external flash for more distance.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 6:27 AM   #7

You can buy a flash that will trigger from your weak (?) camera flash for ten to twenty bucks and will also fit into your pocket.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 2:54 PM   #8

normc wrote:
Quote:
You can buy a flash that will trigger from your weak (?) camera flash for ten to twenty bucks and will also fit into your pocket.
If you are talking about a slave, those cheap slaves won't work with all cameras...several digital cameras use a preflash which cause the slave to fire, and the slave will then be dark when the main flash fires.

If you're talking about a hotshoe flash, be aware that many cheap flashes have high trigger voltages...digital cameras can only take about 6volts, while a cheap flash may have 100volts or more (my Starblitz has 250volts).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 6:42 PM   #9

But there are "cheap" slave units that DO work with digital cameras. They really are the only low cost option for some cameras. You also can mask the on board flash and allow only enough light to tigger the slave and achieve some interesting results. I will be the first to agree, however, that the flash that is designed for the camera will most often out preform nearly anything else. Myself, I will spend the dollars for a flash that can zoom with my lens and also provide W/A shooting.