Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 15, 2002, 1:50 AM   #1

Default Compact digicams quality -v-

Text
If a (say) Nikon Coolpix 5700 (5 megapixels) is compared with a professional slr type 5 megapixel camera, which one will give the better results - or wil they be exactly the same for a given focal length of lens?
I ask this because I was considering a Fuji Finepix S1. This is really a 3.4 meg camera and the camera's own interpolation raises the output to 6 megapixels. But in the final analysis, 3.4 megapixels of information has only been recorded. Does this mean that the Nikon 5700 is likely to give a better photograph? Is anyone aware of a 5 or 6 megapixel camera with a long zoom (like the 5700), sound and video capable, due out in the near future that also has an image stabilized lens? I find digital cameras need a tripod more than film cameras - Not sure why this is but I guess an image stabilzed lens would go a long way to improving image quality.
Please reply to [email protected]
Ian Rivlin
Queensland,
Australia
font=Comic Sans MS]Text[/font]
irivlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2002, 2:36 AM   #2

obviusly teh pro camera.. that's why the pro camera is $2000+ and the not-pro (?) one is under $1000 or $1500

If ypu want more specific data you can visit the cameras review section of www.steves-digicams.com

Bye!

Quote:
Originally posted by irivlin
Text
If a (say) Nikon Coolpix 5700 (5 megapixels) is compared with a professional slr type 5 megapixel camera, which one will give the better results - or wil they be exactly the same for a given focal length of lens?
I ask this because I was considering a Fuji Finepix S1. This is really a 3.4 meg camera and the camera's own interpolation raises the output to 6 megapixels. But in the final analysis, 3.4 megapixels of information has only been recorded. Does this mean that the Nikon 5700 is likely to give a better photograph? Is anyone aware of a 5 or 6 megapixel camera with a long zoom (like the 5700), sound and video capable, due out in the near future that also has an image stabilized lens? I find digital cameras need a tripod more than film cameras - Not sure why this is but I guess an image stabilzed lens would go a long way to improving image quality.
Please reply to [email protected]
Ian Rivlin
Queensland,
Australia
font=Comic Sans MS]Text[/font]
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2002, 12:37 AM   #3
Administrator

It's a lot more than pixels vs pixels. The actual physical size of the imager is very important to the quality of the image that it captures.

That should give you an idea of what I am talking about. That imager in the center is the same size for most all of the 3, 4 and 5 megapixel consumer cameras, including the nikon 5700.

The small imagers have the same number of pixels as the bigger ones but the problem is that the individual pixel wells are so close that there is "blooming" problems. When a pixel is oversaturated with light it tends to affect adjacent pixels as well. The larger imagers have better dynamic range and are less prone to digital noise. Of course they also cost about 4x to 10x more than the little ones.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2002, 9:07 AM   #4
NHL

FYI

- 3.3 Mpixels is 8.933mm diagonal (8.10mm x 6.64mm)
- 5.2 Mpixels is 11mm diagonal (9.74mm x 7.96mm)
- No idea where to get the D1 CCD datasheet from (28.7mm x 19.1mm), but in general the larger the die the more the chip cost!
- For 35mm film is it (36mm x 24 mm)?

[Edited on 6-17-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2002, 7:43 PM   #5

Default Camera interpolation

So, at the end of the day, does a Fujii Finepix S2, with 12 million pixels (6 million, interpolated to 12) give better images than simply taking the 6 meg file and nterpolating it in Photoshop to 12 million?
irivlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2002, 9:17 PM   #6

irivlin, perhaps the 12mp images from the S2 would be better than interpolating an S2 6mp image to 12mp. The reason is that the S2 has access to the raw data from its ccd, and has specific algorithms that can do a better job than simply taking a final image and enlarging it. Although the 12mp images from the S2 look good, I couldn't help but notice they looked a bit blured. But since Photoshop wouldn't have done any better... :P
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote