Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 4, 2004, 12:19 PM   #1

Hello, I'm new here but I have a big problem. Please help.

I have a Olympus C-5000 that I just bought less than 6months ago. The other day I had it in my posket when my dog jumped up on me. Well he cracked the LCD. When I turn it on all I get is a white screen with a black spiderweb crack through it.

I talked to Olympus and they told me its not covered under the warrantee. The quoted me two prices. $155 to replace it or $65 for a new screen. They said I sould have them replace the screen, but for $90 I thought I might be able to fix it mtself.

Any thoughts? How hard is it to replace the LCD screen? They said I would have to solder the ribbon wire to the circuit board, what all is involved?

Has anybody done this?
olympusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2004, 4:03 PM   #2

My opinion is to getthe camera repaired by Olympus. Don't take the risk doing it yourself , and you also void the warranty.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 1:54 AM   #3

Here's the back inside cover of a C-700 to show you a bit of what's involved:
http://www.pbase.com/image/28630841

Here's the entire disassembly process of a C-700 to show you something of what's involved:
http://www.pbase.com/ociepka/camera
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 8:05 AM   #4

Mikefellh,
Very precious information , it's pretty rare that we can find inside camera pics like this.

In this camera, it seems to me that the LCD ribbon cable is not soldered, but inserted , which make sense . In this case , I would replace the LCD myself

BTW, seen any "dismantling operation pics" for Minolta D7 series? (in case I will need one day:?)

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 2:04 PM   #5

Thanks Mikefellh

Does anybody know for sure that the ribbon is inserted not soldered in the C 5000? I don't want to open the case until I know for sure that I can fix it. In the C-700, does it just clip in to the circuit board?

Thanks for everybody's help
Old Jul 5, 2004, 5:44 PM   #6

Okay, I opened up the case. The LCD is attached with clips simmilar to those in Mikefellh's photos. I am feeling more able to fix this myself, but I'm not sure how to unclip the clips. The most I could figure out is there is a black post on both slides of the clip that slides back. I slid it back and gently tried to lift the clip but it did'nt ove so I left it alone.

Does anyone know how to do this? :?
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:29 PM   #7

Man..... this page really saved my bacon!
My daughter accidentally dropped my C-700 and knocked the lens out of whack and broke the battery door. I bought a non-functional, but in excellent cosmetic shape, C-700 on eBay, for parts. Brought both to a camera shop. Not even sure if they took either apart but they did quote me $195 to fix the dropped one. I picked both up and took them home. Started to take the dropped one apart and realized I was over my head. Did some surfing and found your photos and notes. I took both apart. Two hours, a little cursing and some strained eyesight later I have a functional camera.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.......oh yeah..... did I say THANK YOU.

BTW - Steve's Digicam page rocks!!
harley-d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:15 PM   #8

Mikefellh, i am alsovery greatfull!

I now have a broken LCD, and was unsure what to do.

I am handy with such things, but if something's soddered it wouldn't have been worth trying.

Thanks for the great pics!!!!
gogriz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:13 PM   #9

olympusfan wrote:
Quote:
Hello, I'm new here but I have a big problem. Please help.

I have a Olympus C-5000 that I just bought less than 6months ago. The other day I had it in my posket when my dog jumped up on me. Well he cracked the LCD. When I turn it on all I get is a white screen with a black spiderweb crack through it.

I talked to Olympus and they told me its not covered under the warrantee. The quoted me two prices. $155 to replace it or $65 for a new screen. They said I sould have them replace the screen, but for $90 I thought I might be able to fix it mtself.

Any thoughts? How hard is it to replace the LCD screen? They said I would have to solder the ribbon wire to the circuit board, what all is involved?

Has anybody done this?
Quote:
hey im new here too and i have a Canon Powershot A540 and the same thing happend to me, the inner screen is smashes it looks like a black spider web with random colours of pink threw it, i have no clue how it happend, cause i used it the night before i turned it on and saw this!! i havent gone to a repair shop yet, but would they fix it for me? and what do you think the price range would be to fix it??!
erincyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 8:24 AM   #10

Hello!Im new on this forums, and the first time i write something...I*have a Canon Powershot A520, which LCD is broken too. I would replace it by myself, but the problem I have is that I dont know where to buy that LCD. May somebody help me??Thanks you a lot
gotramaval is offline   Reply With Quote