Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 4, 2004, 7:05 PM   #1

I'm new to digital, thought I'd done my homework. Recently purchasedan S5000 thinking thatI could take continuous clear stop action pictures of my son.:angry:Is this what I need ? Did I make a monumental error? If so tell me, and if not HELP. I'll read the manual again just for good measure. Thanks
abecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2004, 2:57 AM   #2

Expand your question to explain what you're trying to do. What kind of shots are you trying to take? Are you talking fast action sports shots, or what?
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:17 AM   #3

On another thread a guy was asking about advice on aircraft photography and I said how much harder horses were as everything is moving in different directions. Bull riding is the ultimate in rapid action withflailing limbs everywhere!

Your camera should be as good as any in its price range.

I assume this is outdoors in good daylight?

First get as close as you can to minimise the use of zoom. Make sure the sun is behind you.Set your camera to the best quality/resolution. Select the continuous autofocus mode. Select shutter priority mode and a shutter speed of 1/500-1/1000th.

Take a few shots of some guys before your son and see what they look like.

If you keep chopping bits of leg/head off zoom out a bit, you can always crop the images lateron the PC.

Were you trying to use the 5 shot burst mode at all or just single shots? I think your camera can take 40 shots in a burst if you lower the resolution. Might be interesting to check his style but not good enough for a top quality single image.

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:21 AM   #4

I am trying to takea series ofshots when my son is riding so that we can get somegood still shots. It is very fast moving, I only have8 seconds.

David, It is usually at night, sometimes inside somtimes outside and light is not always good regardless.

Also, I can not always get closer than 25 to 30 ft. and usually a bit farther.In addition,it appears that the only time I can get into the continuous mode is when the camera is set to AUTO exposure.

AB

abecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:59 PM   #5

I don't think you will be able to freeze the action under the lighting conditions you mention. The best you can probably do is to set ISO 800 in 1M ,mode and use a noise reduction program. Neat Image has a demo version that I don't think expires. 1M isn't very good resolution but it gives a good burst capability. Even at ISO 800 I would guess you will probably get some motion blur.

The only other approach without going to a very expensive camera and lens is to get something that can use an external flash. My Vivitar unit with a zoom head will freeze action to 70 feet using a camera with f2 and to about 45 feet with my FZ10. There are more powerful units but they get pricey.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 4:06 PM   #6

The people who this type of shooting regularly use high-speed dSLRs, like the Olympus E-1...consumer point&shoot digicams just aren't up to it.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 3:21 AM   #7

I had no idea this would be indoors or at night. As the others have said this is in the problemarea that top sports photographers find themelves. It costs them thousands to stop action at sucha distance in poor light.

Have you thought of a proper video cameraso at least you can see the whole ride?

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote