Pentax Optio S40
Pentax Optio S4i
Samsung Digimax 420
Sony DSCP41
Sony DSCP73
Sony DSC-P92
SONY DSC-P93
Toshiba PDR-4300

anyone have any recommendations on which one to get ?
Agent_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:53 PM   #2

your kiding right?

what do you plan to use it for, where, are you going to print, use for web, or just hold the camera to your face to make people think you are takeing pictures?
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:00 PM   #3

I dont know a lot about most of those cameras, but I have owned the Minolta DiMage S414, and it is a decent camera. The photos are good, 4MP, and the price is decent. It also has 4x optical zoom, a little more than most cameras around that price, but it requires AA batteries, and it eats through those like nothing. With regular AAs, I could take maybe 15 pictures before they died, with the NiMH, maybe 50 or 60. If you can live with poor performance like that, it's a good camera with a lot of features. It has several shooting modes including full manual.

rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:41 PM   #4

bradg wrote:
Quote:
what do you plan to use it for, where, are you going to print, use for web, or just hold the camera to your face to make people think you are takeing pictures?
on vacations/events, pictures of buildings, print and web/email
Agent_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 2:24 AM   #5

The best way is to find a store that stocks all of these and spend a bit of time handling each camera and taking a few test shots.

Knowing what suits you is important and you shouldhave a much better ideaafter testing them all.

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 3:01 AM   #6
TC3

Check out the Kyocera M410R...just out and is brilliant....2300mah rechargable batts lasted 180 shots so take a look at the Kyocera page on here for comments...you wont regret it
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 5:06 AM   #7

BUY THEM ALL!!!!!
stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 9:11 AM   #8
Administrator

stephendickey wrote:
Quote:
BUY THEM ALL!!!!!

Your post made my morning. I'm still smiling.:-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:58 AM   #9
Administrator

I don't know how you made up your list, but it looks like it contains mostly compact models, so I assume that size is a consideration.

Read through the reviews and the specs on these models, paying attention to things like Flash Range, ability to use an external flash, lens focal range (wide angle to zoom), ability to use add-on lenses and accessories (wide angle attacements, teleconverter attachments, etc.). Look at comments on image quality, etc. in the reviews. Also pay attention to any special features you think may come in handy.

You mentioned events.. Most smaller cameras have very weak flashes (look at the flash range in the specs, it's rated at both full wide angle, and full telephoto).

With some models, flash range falls off dramatically as more zoom is used. Some (like the Olympus C-5000 in your list), have a hot shoe for an external flash. However, an external flashwill add bulk to the camera (and it looks like you're going for compact).

You mentioned buildings.. What kind of photos of buildings. Some users may want a wider wide angle setting, than the cameras in your list provide. So, the ability to take an add-on wide angle converter lens may be important.

You may also want to consider if you need a camera with greater optical zoom. Look at the focal ranges of the cameras in your list to see how "wide" and how "long" the lenses are.

Make sure to try out the cameras in a store. Look at things like ergonomics, viewfinder useability, control layout, menu layout, startup speed, speed of operation, LCD resolution and brightness, etc.

No one camera is perfect for all users. You'll need to get a better understanding of the differences between these models, and decide what is more important to you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 9:14 PM   #10

Quite an extensive list!! What you could do is check out each camera's sample pics here in Steve's camera reviews ( make sure to download the full sized image - the red brick building did the job for me - you could evaluate noise, ca, color tone, resolution etc. with it ) and make an a/b/c etc. comparison. Then go to www.pbase.com and check out the photos of the cameras if you still hav'nt made up your mind. Should help in your decision if image quality's the number one criterion for you.

Don't buy the Toshiba PDR 4300, the picture quality's inferior. Well I did'nt exactly have the PDR 4300, but the PDR 3330, but coming from the same company, they have similar characteristics. Just bought the Canon A80 last week and am I happy with it!!! Exceeded my expectaions and I can tell you that its leaps and bounds above the Toshiba. Might be the best camera in its class!! But, hey that's just my 2 cents worth...
oikos888 is offline   Reply With Quote